Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am with my rocker moldings which required some dent removal that lead to me filing through the chrome finish. Now I am facing removing all the chrome and polishing the aluminum which appears to be a big job. Any suggestions for a faster way to remove the chrome? There isn't a chrome shop for along ways so reverse plating isn't an option.:confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
The coating on the aluminum parts is not actually chrome. It is anodizing. Anodizing can easily be removed at home with a chemical, the name of which escapes me at the moment. I believe the chevy II only website has a tech. article covering this. Once the anodizing is removed the parts can indeed be polished, however they will need constant polishing and waxing to keep them from tarnishing. This is why the factory anodized these parts in the begining. Most chrome shops do not do anodizing but some do. I live in Washington state and have sent side mouldings to a shop in Minn. to be reanodized. I will strip the anodizing and work out all of the dents and dings and then send them in for the anodizing. The results were great and I saved a bunch of money.

·
Registered
520 Posts
removal of anodization

Caustic soda. found in crystal drain cleaner. dangerous to work with.
can eat through aluminum if you leave it in there too long. use a metal container to mix with water. heat solution for better results. wear rubber gloves and proper eye protection.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, all I know is grinding it off is painstaking and buying a repop set is looking better all the time.:yes:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I just finished this very project and got them mounted on my car this past Saturday. To remove the bright dip anodized coating I used Eastwood Company's anodized coating remover. It comes in a 16 oz. spray bottle and I used one whole bottle and less than half of another. I had to do the rocker moldings and the door strips. I let it stay on there a lot longer than what they say. It removed almost all of it and what it didn't was mainly around any sharp corners on the molding. However, it did make it easier to sand off. After I removed the coating, worked the dents out of it and sanded down the high spots, I sanded it all down starting with 220 then 320, 400, and finally 600. I polished it using an aluminum polishing kit I bought that came with a bar of red cutting compound and white polishing compound as well as the two different 4" wheels to use with a drill. After all that I finished it off with Autosol polish which I did by hand. After masking everything off and painting the black on them I'm well satisfied. They shine real nice and look good on my car. It took several hours but it was worth it. I bought these from another member here and I have a little over $400 in them total. I got a good buy in them. Now you can buy new ones for around $600 but you still have to paint the black on them. Might be worth it if you don't want to spend the time reworking originals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts