Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard people argue that 10 & 12 bolt tubes can't be removed. I had the old 12 bolt out of my car that had a bent tube. I tried reusing the tubes and they were in bad shape. So I removed the original tubes from the center section today. It took about 2 ½ hours to do the first one, the second only took about an hour after I figured out the best technique.
The reason so many 12 bolts have tubes spin in the housing is pretty easy to figure out if all of the were welded like mine were. Of the six welds holding the tubes in 3 of them had ZERO penetration into the tube. What little weld was there was so poor that’s it’s hard to believe anyone could get paid do that poor of a job. After I split the tube with a sawzall I used a cold chisel and the welds just popped apart. From the outside the welds looked like really thick heavy welds. The weld penetrated so poorly it didn't discolor the tube on the inside on a couple of the welds.
I found out that Currie sells replacement tubes and I have the original bearing ends to reuse. So I can build a replacement 12 bolt for my car if I need it.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Do you have a jig to reinstall the new tubes? Everything needs to be in line or you'll have binding. You could've bought a new housing from Moser ready to put all your stuff in. Dave

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you have a jig to reinstall the new tubes? Everything needs to be in line or you'll have binding. You could've bought a new housing from Moser ready to put all your stuff in. Dave
Yes I have a jig and yes Moser sells replacement bare housings, axles and pads welded on for $1,300.00 plus shipping.
I talked to my dad this evening and he has a friend that owns a machine shop. He gave my dad a piece of tubing 49 inches long. That will help in the low buck 12 bolt rebuild.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Install the tube first and plug weld it, set the jig up and put some center section preload in-spread the case .010", then weld on your bearing ends where they need to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts