Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my firewall all cleaned off and everything off of it and I'm trying to figure out how to remove my wiper motor wiring from the harness. Is there a way to remove it from the bulkhead in the firewall rather than cutting it?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
should be able to release the wire from the bulkhead plug by using a small screwdriver.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No tab, looks like it just plugs into the bulkhead connector. Pulled on it for a while but couldn't get it out. Any other idea? Try a screw driver in the small part between the plug and bulkhead?

·
6,561 Posts
In the middle (engine side) of the bulkhead connector there is a bolt (3/8" if I remember right). Back this bolt out maybe 20 rotations then pull both plugs forward (engine half of the harness and the lighting half of the harness) towards the front of the car and if it comes off then you can move on. If not loosen the bolt some more and then try unplugging it again.

Once the plug is apart you might have to clean out the gunk in it to see where the release tabs are at on the terminals and then you can take a small jewelers flat head screwdriver and work the locking tab back enough to release the terminal from the plug.

Once you get all of the wires out you want you may want to look at the other ones and see how they look. If they are corroded, clean them up and then apply some dielectric grease to the connector and put it back together being careful that the pins seat into the other half of the bulkhead connector and then tighten the center bolt.

I would then also apply some type of sealant back around the left over wires in the plug and into the holes where the other wires were at to keep any water from getting into the connector later on down the road.

If you do a search on my webshots.com albums I think I have a picture of the bulkhead connector (user name Custom_Jimmy or Custom_Jim).

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I believe Custom Jim just nailed it! Once I read the post I remembered having to pull the connecters apart to access the locking tab.:yes:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the middle (engine side) of the bulkhead connector there is a bolt (3/8" if I remember right). Back this bolt out maybe 20 rotations then pull both plugs forward (engine half of the harness and the lighting half of the harness) towards the front of the car and if it comes off then you can move on. If not loosen the bolt some more and then try unplugging it again.

Once the plug is apart you might have to clean out the gunk in it to see where the release tabs are at on the terminals and then you can take a small jewelers flat head screwdriver and work the locking tab back enough to release the terminal from the plug.

Once you get all of the wires out you want you may want to look at the other ones and see how they look. If they are corroded, clean them up and then apply some dielectric grease to the connector and put it back together being careful that the pins seat into the other half of the bulkhead connector and then tighten the center bolt.

I would then also apply some type of sealant back around the left over wires in the plug and into the holes where the other wires were at to keep any water from getting into the connector later on down the road.

If you do a search on my webshots.com albums I think I have a picture of the bulkhead connector (user name Custom_Jimmy or Custom_Jim).

Jim
Thanks Jim, I took that center bolt out and they still don't want to come out. I don't want to pull harder for fear of breaking the bulkhead. Are there bolts on the inside that have to come out? I am at work right now or I would run out there and look.

·
6,561 Posts
Thanks Jim, I took that center bolt out and they still don't want to come out. I don't want to pull harder for fear of breaking the bulkhead. Are there bolts on the inside that have to come out? I am at work right now or I would run out there and look.
I don't think they have a retainer clip on the terminal like on relay sockets but hopefully I can describe what I remember they are like.
The bulkhead connectors have one end that is crimped onto the wire while the other end is flat but with a section cut out of the middle of it. This cutout section needs to be crimped or pried shut some to release it. Vision sort of a capitol U with one vertical leg of this U being longer that has the wire end on it and the other end flat maybe 1/4" wide. If you were to pinch the U the area between the vertical legs the area would be narrower and then allows it to slide out of the bulkhead connector block. Pictures would be a big help but I may look for some and see if I can post them back later.

Tugging on them will only dig in the connector harder into the plastic bulkhead housing and could damage neighboring socket holes.

Jim

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I'll take a look tonight when I get home. I'll also snap a few pics of the bulkhead and harness connections for you to help me on.

Thanks!
-Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts