Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am finally onto the interior of my 72. It had a cage installed by the previous owner. I would not have put one in as this is almost entirely being built for street BUT I am working with what I have and being as the rear suspension ties into the cage, I can't just remove it. My concern is having my kids safely in the back seat. I know the crossbar is dangerous and would like to remove it. I know they make kits to swing it in and out, but is it safe to drive without the bar at all?

I have no need to even have it able to mount back in, so my question is more structural if I can just remove the rear cross bar all together, and switch my seatbelts from 5 point to a 3 point kit. Safety is #1 concern as this will be driven as daily as possible with my family.

Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics of my setup. The only real impact issues front or back would be the crossbar

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Pics of my setup. The only real impact issues front or back would be the crossbar

If you’re not needing the cage to certify I would probably make the rear horizontal bar removable. You can also make your side bars removable and you will enjoy the car more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you’re not needing the cage to certify I would probably make the rear horizontal bar removable. You can also make your side bars removable and you will enjoy the car more.
Thanks. What I didn't know is if they were only to be removed once to get in or out and needed to go back in for structural integrity.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Thanks. What I didn't know is if they were only to be removed once to get in or out and needed to go back in for structural integrity.

Is your main concern whether the rear end and shocks are going to be okay with the bar removed? Where does that vertical bar that the shocks are mounted to- bolt to? I think you’d be okay to remove that horizontal bar.
If you’re not going to race it you might remove the cage and have someone fabricate an upper shock mount for you. My shocks on my 72 are tied in off my anti roll bar mounts.

Cages can be dangerous and a nuisance on the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your main concern whether the rear end and shocks are going to be okay with the bar removed? Where does that vertical bar that the shocks are mounted to- bolt to? I think you’d be okay to remove that horizontal bar.
If you’re not going to race it you might remove the cage and have someone fabricate an upper shock mount for you. My shocks on my 72 are tied in off my anti roll bar mounts.

Cages can be dangerous and a nuisance on the street.
Yes, that is my main concern, among with Any other unforseen structure integrity issues. Here is a pic of where they attach to the roll bars right above the deck plate.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
There isn't much legal about that cage and suspension for the street or strip, because it comes up through the trunk and there's no rear firewall, it should be sealed for fire and fumes. I think I'd go back to the drawing board and come up with a plan that suits you needs before cutting or changing anything.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There isn't much legal about that cage and suspension for the street or strip, because it comes up through the trunk and there's no rear firewall, it should be sealed for fire and fumes. I think I'd go back to the drawing board and come up with a plan that suits you needs before cutting or changing anything.
It will all be sealed up, so legality is not an issue. My only concern is safety.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I agree with the other comment. Remove the bar and have a REAL shock mount fabricated for it. Having a bar in a street car especially with kids is not safe. And to have an incomplete bar that can fold up in an accident is not safe either. Those shock mounts are not worth keeping anyway, so those have to go anyway.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you guys think i need to take out the entire cage and a whole new setup for rear shocks? Not what I was hoping for lol. Mainly b/c I am trying to get the car on the road with a limited budget asap BUT if it won't be safe for my family, then it is no question.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IF it can be done safely I would like to just remove the crossbar and leave the rest for now. I can deal with redoing the suspension next winter if need be. I would think that if the cage is still solid without the cross bar and there are no impact points for anyone to make contact with in the event of an accident, that the car would be safer than without the remaining cage ( but I am here asking b/c I have zero experience in roll cages)

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
So you guys think i need to take out the entire cage and a whole new setup for rear shocks? Not what I was hoping for lol. Mainly b/c I am trying to get the car on the road with a limited budget asap BUT if it won't be safe for my family, then it is no question.
Hate to say it but that's what I would do. Looks like it's an 8 point which doesn't help in the leg area either.

At the very least I'd cut out everything but the main hoop and rear down bars, add some padding, and consider that a temporary solution. Main hoop could catch a face or head in an accident.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the input. What I Don't know is, what is a "real shock mount"? I was always told this was a nice setup so I am not sure what it will take time or money wise or even where to start for a new shock mount setup

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any chance you can get a shot of what it looks like under the car? Maybe you can connect the uprights from below with a crossbar?
Hope these help :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can get more pics or details of anything needed. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm no roll bar/chassis expert, but I would not be happy with those rear shock mounts, either. You have stability vertically, but forward/aft and side to side they seem like they would move around or eventually bend. I would add some kind of cross bar tying them together right where the shocks mount. I had a similar set up with no caqe and a 2x2 cross bar below the floor tied into the frame rails. It worked great. You could do the same but make the cross bar above the trunk floor.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
i don't see how whoever made that shock set up thought it was good??? going through the trunk floor is ridiculous.....looks like someone was just mickey mouse engineering using parts they already had.

get a shorter set of coil overs and mount them back under the car. remove the entire roll bar if you are never racing it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so my options at this point really seem to be:

1. remove the crossbar in the back seat and add a crossbar at the top of the shocks.

2. remove the entire cage and put in a new rear shock setup

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One more question. Do I benefit from leaving ANY parts of the cage in?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts