Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been sitting on a "Ready to Run" MSD 8360 Distributor that died on me several years ago. I am in the process of converting this MSD distributor to a remote mount HEI Module by removing the MSD distributor's internal circuit board/module and replacing it with an external mount 4 pin HEI module. I will be leaving the MSD Distributor's existing magnetic pick-up in place and wiring it to the external HEI module.

I am just curious if anybody out there has done something similar to this and can provide any useful tips.

Below is the wiring diagram I plan to use.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I haven’t done this, but I do know you’ll need something to remove the heat form module, so be sure to bolt it to a piece of aluminum to wick the heat away and be sure to use the correct heat sink paste to allow heat transfer.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I haven’t done this, but I do know you’ll need something to remove the heat form module, so be sure to bolt it to a piece of aluminum to wick the heat away and be sure to use the correct heat sink paste to allow heat transfer.
Taz3, Thanks for the heads up!
I was planning to use the GM 10474610 aluminum heatsink shown below. I am probably going to drill a couple new holes in the heatsink to mount the HEI module. I have some thermal heatsink paste left over from a recent laptop repair I did... so I may just use that between the bottom of the HEI module and the GM heatsink.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Years ago I had a prototype Accel ignition box which required a remote HEI module, and used a similar mounting to what you've shown. It was on a drag car so the heat wasn't a problem - but it worked just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts