Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a remote door lock set in my 69 Nova
but I can't seem to figure out how to hook up the blinkers.
On the module I have two wires for the indicators, left and right and there's a relais in the module that gives the signal ( I hear it clicking and I have a fluctuating 12v to 0v on the wires). The idea was to use one wire and connect it to the hazard lights. I have tried using the brown wire ( emergency feed ) on the connector under the steering column. Doesn't work. I've tried to use the output of the flasher on the fuse box, one side is continually 12v so I figured I'd use the other side, but doesn't work either. I think I'm off track of how the original wiring works.
For the record, my turnsignals and hazard lights are fine.
I guess there must be a doable way to get the blinkers to work when opening or closing the door locks, instead of leading 4 wires separately to each light bulb.
Any of you people have any idea what wire(s) to use to make it work?
Any ideas or knowledge will be very helpful!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You should be able to tie into the brown wires in the harness for the headlight switch.

Or...
There's a connector in the body harness, behind the driver's kick panel.
You should be able to tie in there (brown wire, I believe) for the rear lights. Between the headlight switch and the bulkhead connector (or under the hood, on the other side of the firewall), the other brown wires will get you the front lights.

If that doesn't sound like fun, you're probably stuck picking up all four directional indicator wires.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should be able to tie into the brown wires in the harness for the headlight switch.

Or...
There's a connector in the body harness, behind the driver's kick panel.
You should be able to tie in there (brown wire, I believe) for the rear lights. Between the headlight switch and the bulkhead connector (or under the hood, on the other side of the firewall), the other brown wires will get you the front lights.

If that doesn't sound like fun, you're probably stuck picking up all four directional indicator wires.

Thank you for your reply!
I will dig into it tomorrow.and report my solution....hopefully:rolleyes:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks, got them to work!
I did use the wires for the rear turn signal lights from the harness behind the drivers kickpanel, like squigie suggested. Got a yellow wire = left rear , and a dark green wire = right rear.
Then tied the front signal wires from under the hood, the harness at the driver side fender. Light blue = left, dark blue = right.
Everything works perfectly now,including the emergency lights and turn signal lights.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
dutch.... you got to lov it when the plan all comes together an works perfect.

·
6,502 Posts
On the module I have two wires for the indicators, left and right and there's a relay in the module that gives the signal ( I hear it clicking and I have a fluctuating 12v to 0v on the wires).
For the record, my turn signals and hazard lights are fine.
I guess there must be a doable way to get the blinkers to work when opening or closing the door locks, instead of leading 4 wires separately to each light bulb.
Any of you people have any idea what wire(s) to use to make it work?
Any ideas or knowledge will be very helpful!
Thanks!
Ok thanks, got them to work!
I did use the wires for the rear turn signal lights from the harness behind the drivers kickpanel, like squigie suggested. Got a yellow wire = left rear , and a dark green wire = right rear.
Then tied the front signal wires from under the hood, the harness at the driver side fender. Light blue = left, dark blue = right.
Everything works perfectly now,including the emergency lights and turn signal lights.

Thanks again!
Not to question things but are things actually working as they should ?.

I'm seeing from what you have provided so far is that you had two wires off of your door lock module system for the indicators. You chose to hook these two wires to the yellow wire = left rear, a dark green wire = right rear as well as the front signal wires from under the hood, the harness at the driver side fender. Light blue = left, dark blue = right.

Unless I'm not seeing things right, I think there might be some issues with what you did.

Here is my reasoning:

With two wires going to 4 lights then there are two lights connected to each other that were designed to be kept separate from each other.

If you had the one wire off of your door lock module that now connects to let's say the yellow = left rear as well as the light blue = left front then when the brakes are applied, the left rear light would come on as it should but now with this wiring changes the left front turn signal would also come on, which is not right.

If you can, provide some wiring info or links to the system you bought. Chances are they wanted the flashing outputs wired tothe vehicles parking light circuit and not the higher output turn signal bulbs.

Jim

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Not to question things but are things actually working as they should ?.

I'm seeing from what you have provided so far is that you had two wires off of your door lock module system for the indicators. You chose to hook these two wires to the yellow wire = left rear, a dark green wire = right rear as well as the front signal wires from under the hood, the harness at the driver side fender. Light blue = left, dark blue = right.

Unless I'm not seeing things right, I think there might be some issues with what you did.

Here is my reasoning:

With two wires going to 4 lights then there are two lights connected to each other that were designed to be kept separate from each other.

If you had the one wire off of your door lock module that now connects to let's say the yellow = left rear as well as the light blue = left front then when the brakes are applied, the left rear light would come on as it should but now with this wiring changes the left front turn signal would also come on, which is not right.

If you can, provide some wiring info or links to the system you bought. Chances are they wanted the flashing outputs wired tothe vehicles parking light circuit and not the higher output turn signal bulbs.

Jim
Good thinking!...and you are right.
I checked with all the lights on in the garage and focused on the tail when hitting my brake pedal.
After reading your reply I checked again and bingo, when I hit the brake the front parking lights go on.
When I was wiring up everything I did consider I couldn't use the 2 outcoming wires of the module for front and rear.* the front turn signals both would went on using the left or right turnsignal. But I didn't thought of the brake lights.

The schedule that's with the kit don't provide much info on the wiring. It just says which color should go where. I have 2 for signal lights, and they give a fluctuating 12v / 0v.

Any ideas to get everything working through parking lights connections? Or is a diode an easier solution maybe?

Thanks!

·
6,502 Posts
Good thinking!...and you are right.
I checked with all the lights on in the garage and focused on the tail when hitting my brake pedal.
After reading your reply I checked again and bingo, when I hit the brake the front parking lights go on.
When I was wiring up everything I did consider I couldn't use the 2 outcoming wires of the module for front and rear.* the front turn signals both would went on using the left or right turnsignal. But I didn't thought of the brake lights.

The schedule that's with the kit don't provide much info on the wiring. It just says which color should go where. I have 2 for signal lights, and they give a fluctuating 12v / 0v.

Any ideas to get everything working through parking lights connections? Or is a diode an easier solution maybe?

Thanks!
I would wire into just the parking light circuit. Doing so will require just one connection from your module to the cars parking light circuit.

Find the brown wire in your car using the above diagram and then test it to make sure it shows voltage when just the parking lights are turned on and no voltage when off and then connect to your door lock modules light flash output.

One thing I noticed is they do not show any fuse on the door lock system and one needs to be in place in case there is a short or overload. You might have to get a hold of the company that made it to see what they suggest as far as size.

Jim

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jim, you're really helpful.
I'll sort it out in and try use the parking lights wire.
Thing is I don't have the parking or so called running lights in the bumper anymore. Because of laws over here it is forbidden to have the sealed beam headlights in any car. So I changed them for H4 lights with integrated option for running lights. I disconnected the front parking lights wires from the turnsignals and used them for the lights in the headlights. So first pull on the headlamp switch turns the small lamps on in the headlights ( parking lights) , second pull is small lamps on, plus low beam lights on. The lamps in the front bumper is turn signals only.
Not that it really matters, I just would like an optical signal on the front and rear if the remote is engaged.
Seeing the small lights in the headlamp flashing works just fine as well.

Good tip on the fuse. First thing I did when I start installing it all was putting a fuse on the hot wire.
Only thing I didn't check was the correct size. For the time being it has a 10A fuse. I'll look into the correct size.

Alright, time to go to work and see if I can get it fixed.
I have soldered every connection after ( I thought:rolleyes:) checking so have to restore everything to original

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Located the brown wire and hooked it up. Works just fine! When pressing the button of the remote my parking lights go on ( front and back ).....as well as the license plate light and the interior dash lights. Looking at the diagram Jim posted that's what suppose to happen.
Now, being up side down in the car for a few days I might as well try and get my ashtray light and lighter to work. Don't need to but always nice to have everything working as it should.

Thanks to Jim and all the rest who helped me out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts