Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4l65e. I'm currently running my tranny lines to the radiator like normal. But the tranny is getting to 230 degrees.
I just got a durale atomic cooler with a fan.
So should I run my tranny lines threw the radiator then to the cooler. Or just use the cooler by its self?

I feel like I should just use the cooler by its self. Because no matter what. The tranny fluid is going to get hot. Cuz of the hot water in the radiator.

I'm planning on mounting the cooler under the car under the front seat.

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
245 Posts
I'm running my Derale remote mount fan/cooler after the radiator but I notice that when the engine coolant reaches operating temp the trans temp seems to mirror the coolant temp.
I would be interested to hear from someone who is running only the remote mount cooler. I have thought of doing that.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm just running the cooler as recommended by my tranny builder. It's not road worthy yet, but just referring a professional opinion.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm running just the Atomic with a fan and have put about thirty five hundred miles on mine. I don't have a temp gauge but the fluid doesn't smell burnt and so far I've had no problems. I've done Cruising the Coast the last two years in all different conditions. 800 miles in a week with plenty of stop and go heavy traffic conditions.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
duggravs.... is 230 degrees bad or good ? how did you get that temp ? with that durale atomic cooler wouldn't mounting in front of the rad. have cooler air than under the car were the motor heat an heat from the exhaust is running.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
I also just run a stand alone trans cooler. I never liked the idea of having a trans cooler line that ran thru the radiator due to the problems that would occur if the trans line in the radiator was to ever leak.

I do not have a trans fluid temp gauge, so I just installed the largest B&M trans cooler that was available. I have never had a problem.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274

I have read that the stacked plate coolers are more efficient then the tub & fin design. Be sure to mount the cooler in an area with good air flow.

·
Registered
279 Posts
B&M Trans cooler

B&M Super Coolers are reboxed Long Tru Cool coolers. Made by Dana Corporation in Mexico. Tru Cool coolers are 40-50% cheaper and are lifetime warranty. B&M one year warranty.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
B&M Super Coolers are reboxed Long Tru Cool coolers. Made by Dana Corporation in Mexico. Tru Cool coolers are 40-50% cheaper and are lifetime warranty. B&M one year warranty.
I did not know that... Thanks for this update!
I just checked, and found my same trans cooler listed as a Tru-Cool H7B at Amazon for a lot less $$$ (and free shipping).
https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-H7B-ENGINE-OIL-COOLER/dp/B003TQ3BG2

The Tru-Cool cooler looks exactly like my B&M cooler.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the guys who are running the durale fan cooler. Which transmition line are you running to the thermostat switch? Is it oil out threw switch then back to transmission? Or is it transmission, cooler , thermostat then back to transmission

Which port is the pressure out on the transmission?

I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Easy trans temp gauge

Since the subject is trans coolers, fluid temps, etc I'd like to share a tip.
For those wondering what their trans temps are there is an easy solution IF you already have an electronic water temp gauge, NOT the manual temp gauge that uses the attached temp sensor.
If your gauge uses a separate sensor at the engine that is wired to the gauge there is a way to use the same gauge for both water & trans temps.
Get a 2nd temp sensor for the gauge you're using, install it in the trans pan, wire it & the engine sensor to a double throw toggle switch. Flipping the switch will let go from the water temp in the engine to the temp of the trans fluid. There isn't a need for a 2nd temp gauge to monitor trans temps.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My 2016 colorado has a trans temp guage, I will look today to see how warm it runs
duggravs.... is 230 degrees bad or good ? how did you get that temp ? with that durale atomic cooler wouldn't mounting in front of the rad. have cooler air than under the car were the motor heat an heat from the exhaust is running.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts