Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts

·
6,502 Posts
I relocated the one on my 73 over 10 years ago and I used the stock motor but had to rework the arm off of the motor to push it more rearward into the hole. There were some clearance issues on the inner cowl sides but nothing major. I then cut the original linkage rod and extended it to reach the new motor location.
If you use the original motor you may have enough slack in the harness to reach it's new position but if not it can be extended.
Mine is very similiar to scherp69 setup with the hole location. If you relocate it you just need to have the motor clocked properly so the wipers park where they should and wipe where they should.

Jim

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I attempted this and had a rough time figuring the best way to route the new extension. Than I figured it out after many hours and foul language later.:turn:

Relocating was easy. I just took a carboard piece and made a template. I leveled the cardboard perfectly level before making the drawing of the holes so when I went to the new location, I could make the hole exactly the same. I also used the cardboard template to mark off the mounting holes. I easily just traced the hole with mounting holes from the template and cut and drill out new mounting location. Than with the same template made a blank steel metal insert to weld into place of the old mounting hole. I also made a cut into the side bulge as an access for the bolts to attach the connector to the motor.
Than after Motor was exactly like it supposed to be I just cut the wiper arm that connects to the motor and extended it. I made the cut close to the part that connects to the motor. This was the hardest part of the entire job.

I used a rod from Home depot and made the bends with the help of a Shop Vice. Than welded it together. Than since it was not super stiff, I added support rods making triangles. Now the firewall will be nice and smooth without that ugly motor sticking out a foot from the firewall.

I wanted to post this pic since there is no pictures to help out with making the extension. Hopefully this will help out others in the future. This was a great idea.:yes:

Relocation.

Wiper arm setup.

EDIT: Adding closeup pics of the areas I cut and attached my new linkage creation. (I painted it black.)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
When you do it the last angle deciphers how far the wipers will end at both the bottom of the windshield and the edge of the drivers side. The more you put an angle, the less the wipers will travel.

Basically I used one rod for the whole extension and one triangle (short one) and for the other triangle I used a thinner rod. (long one)

I still have the original rod (thiner) left that I used for the template. It may show the true design if you would like me to post it. The thing with the last angle is that it angles differently than the others. It kinda angles upward.

·
Registered
48 Posts
jr-dub64

Howdy, I chose to make a recessed firewall to give me more dist. clearence, cause of the bigblock. That smoothed out the firewall and eliminated the ugly bulge and wiper motor. I kept the stock wiper transmission, and mounted a Mazda pickup wiper motor under the dash and hooked it to the stock wiper trans. elimininating all the confusing linkage geometry. Works great. Let me know if you need more info. Good luck, John.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Howdy, I chose to make a recessed firewall to give me more dist. clearence, cause of the bigblock. That smoothed out the firewall and eliminated the ugly bulge and wiper motor. I kept the stock wiper transmission, and mounted a Mazda pickup wiper motor under the dash and hooked it to the stock wiper trans. elimininating all the confusing linkage geometry. Works great. Let me know if you need more info. Good luck, John.
Go ahead and post the info so others can have that option. For me, I already went through the torture of figuring out the geometry of the extension. I'm not going to change the setup now. I like my creation to much:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Go ahead and post the info so others can have that option. For me, I already went through the torture of figuring out the geometry of the extension. I'm not going to change the setup now. I like my creation to much:D
what he said...:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Good ideas guys, I would like to do the same thing, but if you mount it in your cowl, how do you get to it if it fails? I think under the cowl inside the car would be better for replacement. I'd like to see some pics of one mounted inside the car

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
How about if I want to keep the wiper motor, but hide the car?:confused::bored::confused::cool::D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry no pics but.... I did mine back in about 92-93. I put mine right above the glove box area under the cowl. I had to reverse the position and lengthen the rod. The only thing I would suggest if you use this area is that you tack in a slightly thicker piece of metal to strenghten the area as its not real strong. When mine is on , it flexes the metal slightly.It can be removed very easily-bolts are under the cowl ,then it drops out inside. Mine is really only there to pass inspection as I really don't use it except at the car wash,lol. I would never recommend removing it unless its strictly a race car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
jr-dub64

How about if I want to keep the wiper motor, but hide the car?:confused::bored::confused::cool::D
Well, sbc1320 I have this here stealth paint that you apply with a brush, it comes in various colors, but guess it doesn't really matter, since you can't see the car anyway. And if you painted it with a brush, who would want to see it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
jr-dub64

Will try and get some photos in the next day or two. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts