Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1962 Chevy II Series 100 Four door has what appears to be a factory 153 four cylinder with a powerglide. The firewall code says it should be a six cylinder. How reliable is the information on the firewall? Thanks

·
13,714 Posts
The firewall tag (cowl tag) is frequently incorrect. These tags were stamped by Fisher Body early in the body build process and before it was known what engine would actually be in the car. Check your VIN. It will have the correct information. If it's a 4 cylinder 100 series Chevy II, the VIN will be 20169, or 20369 if it's a Chevy II 300 series. A six cylinder will be 20269 or 20469.

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your prompt reply. I will check it more thoroughly tomorrow. I can't see it being a 300. It just doesn't have the options. As far as I can tell the Powerglide is the only option. No radio, no cigarette lighter, no backseat arm rests, plus all the outside chrome trim (or lack of it) seem correct including the Series 100 on the rear fenders. If someone did an engine swap they did a great job. :)

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
i like seeing those old L-4's because they are so rare to see these days. does it run ? if it runs an your selling it, i've heard of guys putting them into custom inboard boats. so any pictures if you can.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, she runs and drives but needs lot of restoration. She sat for years baking in the hot sun and the whole fabric interior is dry rotted including the original headliner. I have been struggling with what to do with it. It is so bone stock I really hate to molest it. And then on the other hand it would make a great sleeper with a V-8. I am truly torn. It is surely a head turner as she sits.
I had 62 Coupe when I was 16 and pulled the original 6 and installed a built 283. Now that I am old the more-door is more appealing so when I saw it I snatched it up.
I will try to post some pics later this evening.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Hey Dave - - - - -
To post up a pictures onto SNS = it's 'easy-peasy' …….
"in this 'block' where you are posting …………………….. look at the lower border …………. you see 'icons' .
#1 - - a paper clip
#2 - - a chain links
#3 - - a smiley face

and
#4 - - That's the camera - - - get the picture you want ( right from u'r desk top) 'drag & drop' …. click on the "camera 1st" .
…….. have u'r picture ready ……………… Bingo ………… jim

ps : in my 70 + years - I have ONLY seen 1 - 4 cyl Nova = a 1962 , 4dr , p/g , car .............. back in '63 . (in person . I have seen pictures) .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a few pics but the ones I really want (showing the engine) are on a laptop with a dead battery. I will retrieve them but not immediately. I had stated earlier that it was original however the color was changed (years ago) from Tuxedo Black to Empire White! Talk about a change. And according to the numbers it was also originally a Six banger. It appears someone really wanted a Four cylinder. Here is the VIN number: 20469N176350

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
nice very nice. i couldn't cut an change a nova like that up in that condition. i'd keep it just that way an find a different body to has already been changed. that L-4 an a power glide has got to get 30 plus miles per gallon. an back then they all might say 6 cyl instead of 4 cyl. an that long radiator spacer is like a table to put your tools on while working under the hood.

·
13,714 Posts
Nice car. For sure it's a Chevy II 100 series, but the VIN, checked with GM Heritage Center information, says a 469 VIN would be a Chevy II 300 series six cylinder 4 door. Can anybody shed some light on this discrepancy?

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice very nice. i couldn't cut an change a nova like that up in that condition. i'd keep it just that way an find a different body to has already been changed. that L-4 an a power glide has got to get 30 plus miles per gallon. an back then they all might say 6 cyl instead of 4 cyl. an that long radiator spacer is like a table to put your tools on while working under the hood.
I agree. It is unique. If someone changed the engine they did a masterful job. And that huge shroud is the first thing that you notice when you raise the hood.

·
13,714 Posts
I agree. It is unique. If someone changed the engine they did a masterful job. And that huge shroud is the first thing that you notice when you raise the hood.
Today we all wonder why anybody would change out a six for a four cylinder. Somebody bought this as an economy car, but for whatever reason had to settle for a six cylinder. Six goes bad, so replace it with a four and get some real economy. Made sense in the sixties.
Bob

·
13,714 Posts
Can you post a pic of the firewall tag? Might offer some explanation.

Bob

·
13,714 Posts
So, your cowl tag says 269, which is a Chevy II 100 six cylinder 4 door. The VIN says it's a 469 Chevy II 300 series six cylinder 4 door. The engine now in the car is a 4 cylinder. Bit of an identity crisis here, but probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 300 must be an error don't you think? It doesn't have enough options to be a Nova. I can't believe someone would strip down the interior from a 300 to match a 100! Can you? And same with the exterior trim and 100 badges. Just doesn't make any sense at all to me. 😱

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
does that cowl tag say, 03 C ? 3rd. week of march. maybe fisher still hadn't figured out how they were going to stamp the cowl tags yet.

·
13,714 Posts
does that cowl tag say, 03 C ? 3rd. week of march. maybe fisher still hadn't figured out how they were going to stamp the cowl tags yet.
Fisher had been building bodies for 1962 Chevy IIs since August/61, so you'd think they'd have some idea what they were doing. Then again, they were still stamping all tags as V/8 in the late 60's. I think that at this point in '62 they were stamping all the tags as six cylinder. This car's tag should rightly have been a 169, a 4 cylinder Chevy II 100 four door. However, this doesn't explain the VIN, which says it's a six cylinder, four door, Chevy II 300. Obviously, it's not, so could be a mistake or a swapped VIN.

Bob

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
you would think so from aug/61 but there is 3 shifts involved an two different plants.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I'm with you Mike . . . . . .. This car IS A "Time Machine" - - - - - - 'Back to the Future' - - - - - - for sure.

Dave , this thing may be toooooooo Good to change . I heard of guys tell of having an early Chev II ,
and a 4 cyl . . . . . then, never seem to come through with proof . If it were mine - - - - - go Buy the Nova you want . . . . . . and, keep this car as is. (but, that's just me) .

Can I ask ? ? …………. Location, where you be - at ?
later , jim
and, Thanks for th' pictures . (y)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts