Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my key to my ign. switch. Besides buying a new one,is there a way to take apart the switch in order to make a new key?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes but it has to be in the unluck position...which requires a key unless it was broken like my old one. All the way left and then a paper clip in the hole and the cylinder will come out. A new switch assembly was about $17 for me at napa but I also have a discount.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too have the same problems, the folks I bought the car from have not been able to produce any keys. I can pull a door or glove box lock to get a key made for it but the ignition switch seems to present a problem.

Any suggestions on how to get the lock out without a key??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lock smith.

They have these moblie smiths that come to your house and punch the keys for you.

The cost, I sure dont know because I would say it varies from state to state.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
your door lock should be the same key unless someone changed it at some point. If it is the same, take out the door lock and bring that to the locksmith:yes: they can make you a new key for it:yes: Or, hot wire the car (very easy on a 1st/2nd gen) and drive it down to the locksmith:yes:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Do you happen to have the key number somewhere? In those days there was a knock out tab that had a code to make the key. I know, it's a bit of a stretch, but stranger things have happened. Like when I locked the keys in my 59 Corvette and a buddy with a 57 Chev used his key to open the door. Moral of that story, try any chev key that will fit. If all else failed, I'd hotwire the car and take it to a locksmith, or, do you have towing on your insurance? If not you could buy a AAA account and have their services handle it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts