Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has though about using the 1st gen F-body convertable X brace as a method of stiffening the body on a 3rd gen Nova? It would require a little fab work but it should work! I wonder if the gains would be worth the effort. The Camaro gets away without a roof by putting this in so it should help significantly!

Just searching for thoughts on this!:rolleyes: Don't think I will be doing it, but I am looking into creating some method of welding an X brace between frame subframe connectors using a drive shaft loop as a center connection point!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I dont see why ya couldnt do somethin like that. I would fab up my own though, cuz Im not sure one for an F-body would be a direct fit.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Solid subframe mounts will make a big difference on third and 4th gen Novas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Paul. Are you saying solid as in no rubber between the subframe and the body? I have a 73. And does anyone make them?
Thanks, Dann

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
dansker said:
Hi Paul. Are you saying solid as in no rubber between the subframe and the body? I have a 73. And does anyone make them?
Thanks, Dann
Greetings,

Yes there's a bushing between the subframe and the body, but it's solid aluminum. Moroso makes them for Novas...I can't remember the cost but Summit and Jegs both sell them.

Jason

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok, so my question is screw the rubber in between? It would make sense!! Why even have rubber in there? If it's solid aluminum anyway? Just talked to my nephew today and he told me his friend upgraded his 350 engine for some major hp and twisted the frame. He put a solid frame all the way back from the sub frame to the rear. I will have to check this one out. Will post when I have info.
Dann

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They make a complete frame that bolts under a 3rd gen nova, but it cost 10,000+. Before I go that route I'll be welding in the 8 pt roll cage since it will create the most stiffness since it is dealing with more than a single plain. I'm mainly trying to add stiffness while staying in the same general plain without going out and paying 10 to 15 grand and not creating a hack job out of the bottom of my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts