Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: Hi guy's I am getting ready to purchase a set of redline for my 66 L79 and would like to know what everyone's opinion for size, manufacturer or what ever your thought's are. I have the original wheels that I will mount them on with the original hubcaps. Please give me some feed back
Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I would definitely go with the redline radials if your gonna do any driving the old polyglas tires are rough riding window rattling ,I VE had both and currently run E/205-75 R14 COKERS AND I can cruise the interstate at 75 with one finger on the wheel for ever, also I have completely stock front end with the idler arm bearing mod only.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
:rolleyes: Hi guy's I am getting ready to purchase a set of redline for my 66 L79 and would like to know what everyone's opinion for size, manufacturer or what ever your thought's are. I have the original wheels that I will mount them on with the original hubcaps. Please give me some feed back
Thanks, Tom
do you know that redlines are'nt correct for a 66? just checking.

I do like the looks

·
Registered
751 Posts
I grew up in that era , I really do not remeber to many redline tires at all. Old dealer pamphlets that I have do not show redlines. I really do not like them either.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
I've been doing some digging on this. The first reference I can find on redline tires was that U.S. Royal began supplying tires with DUAL red stripes to Ford in August of 1964 for use on Mustangs.

The first reference I can find on SINGLE strip redlines is that Firestone supplied them to Pontiac (probably beginning in 1966) for use on the 1967 GTOs.

I don't remember single stripe redlines being available from anyone except Firestone and possibly U.S. Royal before 1968. As far as staying original for your '66, the tire to find would be a 6.95x14 in blackwall or the medium-width whitewall. That said, the only way I'd mount that size to my Nova would be for show only.

If I come up with anything else, I'll post again.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I used to have a huge Chevy show room cardboard poster of the 67 novas, corvairs and camaros and the 67 camaro has red stripe tires and hub-caps, the gold line tires were big in the late sixties. just my opinion the red lines dont look good on a blue car , black,red, white yes

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Ibelieve redlines were available on 66-67 novas. I also believe the tire of 67 would have been a supersport model firestone or 66 silvertown redline by firestone / coker tire or diamond back would be a good source for size and style . i have run both but i agree if the car is going to be driven radials drive a lot better . good luck:D:D

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Original Tires

I put gas shocks on my 69 SS with repo bias ply redlines in the late 80's. The tires started cupping after a couple years of driving on the Interstate to various shows. I had to change to a radial tire in order to get a good ride and good wear on the tires.
I was told that bias ply tires could only be run with the original style shocks (non-gas charged) and radial tires should be run with the gas shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I used to have a huge Chevy show room cardboard poster of the 67 novas, corvairs and camaros and the 67 camaro has red stripe tires and hub-caps, the gold line tires were big in the late sixties. just my opinion the red lines dont look good on a blue car , black,red, white yes

If that is your car in the picture with the red lines I think you might want to open both eyes, unless your just kidding. It looks great to me. I wouldnt change it for anything. I might be a little one sided though. JMO

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Ibelieve redlines were available on 66-67 novas. I also believe the tire of 67 would have been a supersport model firestone or 66 silvertown redline by firestone / coker tire or diamond back would be a good source for size and style . i have run both but i agree if the car is going to be driven radials drive a lot better . good luck:D:D
I'm pretty-sure 67 was the first year the redline tire was offered as a Chevrolet option.

I always thought the "Silvertown" tires were B.F. Goodrich?

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
I'm pretty-sure 67 was the first year the redline tire was offered as a Chevrolet option.

I always thought the "Silvertown" tires were B.F. Goodrich?
I agree with you. In my search, I was able to come up with information that verified that redline tires were available on the Corvette and SS396 Chevelle in 1967. I haven't been able to find anything yet on the Camaro or Impala SS.

As far as Novas go, redline tires were only available from the factory in two model years. In 1968, they were standard equipment on the Nova SS. In 1969, the Nova SS was available with either redline or white stripe tires (E70x14). Since they were part of the Nova SS package, there was no separate RPO code in 1968, but in 1969 they could be ordered under either RPO PK6 or RPO PK9.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I agree with you. In my search, I was able to come up with information that verified that redline tires were available on the Corvette and SS396 Chevelle in 1967. I wasn't able to find anything on the Impala SS.

As far as Novas go, redline tires were only available from the factory in two model years. In 1968, they were standard equipment on the Nova SS. In 1969, the Nova SS was available with either redline or white stripe tires (E70x14). Since they were part of the Nova SS package, there was no separate RPO code in 1968, but in 1969 they could be ordered under either RPO PK6 or RPO PK9.
I know for sure they were available on the 67 Chevelle SS396. I bought one new in 67 and they were on it. :yes:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Based off of the list of RPOs on novaresource.com, redlines were not a option in 67, but were in 68. Not that there is any question regarding the 68s....

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Definately "NO" Redlines on 66 Novas........Whitewalls or Black sidewalls only.......Wide Oval Redlines on 67 Chevelles Etc........

Ken

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I agree with you. In my search, I was able to come up with information that verified that redline tires were available on the Corvette and SS396 Chevelle in 1967. I haven't been able to find anything yet on the Camaro or Impala SS.

where can you buy these white stripe tires (E70x14) for a 69 Nova SS? also didnt the 69 nova SS come with Goodryear polyglas F70X14? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
where can you buy these white stripe tires (E70x14) for a 69 Nova SS?

also didnt the 69 nova SS come with Goodryear polyglas F70X14? thanks
1. I did a search for these 'white pin stripe' tires in size E70x14. The only dealer I could come up with was Coker Tires. They list them for $161 each.

2. Going both on my memory and the information I've collected while researching my posts for this thread, I've found nothing to indicate that Novas were ever offered with F70x14 tires from the factory. In 1969, the Z28 Camaro was offered with E70x15 Goodyear Polyglas tires. I'm not sure about Chevelles and other Camaros. The only "F" series tire I could find offered on a Nova was the FR78x14 size which was available in the mid-70s in blackwall, whitewall and white letter variations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts