Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of sandblasting my sub-frame on my '71 Nova and getting pretty close to being done. I am planning on painting it with something to keep my work protected and looking nice. I was just wondering what is the best way to go as far as paints and primers are concerned? I've seen some products like Eastwood's Chassis Black, anyone have any experience with that?

Also, on the topic of rust, I will have sandblasted the entire frame but sometimes there are little pockets of stubborn rust or places of that nature. If I do my best to remove it and there is still a very very small and light patch of rust remaining, do I need to completely remove that, or will a good paint keep that from being an issue?

One more question, what about the inside of the frame?

I'll admit this is my first restore and while my mechanical skills are sound, doing an entire restore is completely different from simply rebuilding an engine or transmission. I'd appreciate all the help and advice I can get.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I'm restoring a '72 Chevy PU right now. We took the frame, all crossmembers and suspension pieces to the powder coater. He sand plasted everything and powder coated in satin black for $1200. I have the entire chassis reassembled now and am ready to drop the body back on as soon as it's done. As far as I'm concerned, this is the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I agree with powder coating it comes in many different colors and different levels of gloss.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I was told if the sun's on por-15 it turns the color to purple,like when the hood is open...
WILL THE SUN DESTROY MY POR-15 COATING IF I DON'T TOPCOAT IT?
If the surface is exposed to the sun for an extended amount of time, the UV rays will eventually break down the POR-15 and cause it to fail. That’s why we recommend you topcoat it.

This was copied right from POR15's website. ^^^

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The cost.

The cost of paint,primers,sandpaper,degrease,and sandblasting ect... The Powder Coater did all of that before powder coating it inside and out {$400.00}.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The cost of paint,primers,sandpaper,degrease,and sandblasting ect... The Powder Coater did all of that before powder coating it inside and out {$400.00}.
I agree with ya. ^^ All of my suspension, subframe, rear end housing, core support and wheelhouses always get powder coated. All rust must be removed when part is powder coated. Any part of the car that can handle 400 degrees gets coated.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I sent my sub frame ,cross member,control arms and sway bar to the powder coaters and he blasted,baked the frame and trans crossmemberto get the old oil out of the inside of the frame and then cleaned and degreased and powder coated everythingand then baked it for $450 bucks money well spent in my book

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
On Musclecar TV this morning they sent out a whole Cutlass body to be blasted and powdercoated primer for $1800. Said the paint would get down in all the hard to get to areas since it adheres to the electrical charge. It was a place in Lebanon, Tennessee I believe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts