Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the carb on my 194 because it was leaking around the top gasket, it also had 1/8" on rust in the bottom of the bowl. Soaked it in chemtool over night then blew it out real good. Now I have a dead spot if I hit the pedal to hard, I have to lightly give it gas and it's OK. Any Ideas?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
sounds like the accelerator pump... or the pump bore in the body is etched and not allowing a good enough seal for the accelerator pump...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like the accelerator pump... or the pump bore in the body is etched and not allowing a good enough seal for the accelerator pump...
That's what I was thinking. In the kit it has a diagram that shows a washer on top of the acc pump, there wasn't one when I tore it down. I just put one on it but haven't test drove it yet, if that doesn't fix it I'll try putting the old acc pump back in. No biggy, that 194 is history soon anyhow.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i've seen 2 styles of pumps, one is a rubber type seal, the other is leather. the old school leather units (i think) are better... if your kit has that try soaking/rubbing some 3 in 1 machinists/sewing machine oil on it... might help with the softening/sealing of the seal in the bore...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've seen 2 styles of pumps, one is a rubber type seal, the other is leather. the old school leather units (i think) are better... if your kit has that try soaking/rubbing some 3 in 1 machinists/sewing machine oil on it... might help with the softening/sealing of the seal in the bore...
It's rubber :( both of them, like I said no biggy, I'll just drive like the Grandpa I am.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never assume, I'm 61, should know that by now. :yes: I assumed the ac pump was the same length out of the kit, it was 1/4" longer than the old one. Put old one back in and it runs great. :ragtop:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts