Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to swap my 194 for a 250 in my '63 and looking for some advice on good rebuilt engine sources. Not going for anything more than a daily driver and I'm trying to make the swap as painless as possible. I've read just about every available thread on doing the swap and think I'm fairly well prepared. Just need the motor. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I have had cars with both the 194, 230, and 250 engines. Going for the 250 is a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You should check out Truck Repair shops. Since the 250 was widely used in commercial vehicles your chances of a Truck repair shop having a good 250 Shortblock ready to go is real good.
Have your 194 head rebuilt and throw it on with your Nova Oilpan and pickup. Then get a nice 2 barrel carb and adapter for your manifold from Langdons Stovebolt and you will have a Strong running Daily driver 250.
And if the shop has complete longblock 250's and that's they way you want to go, you just need to put you intake/ exhaust and do the Oilpan and pickup .

·
Registered
265 Posts
hey man... i have a good running 250 6cyl in my 75 nova right now.. i am getting ready to pull it and swap in a 350... only problem is im in the suburbs right outside philly pa.... if you want it... shoot me a pm we can try to work out something....

:D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am looking to swap my 194 for a 250 in my '63 and looking for some advice on good rebuilt engine sources. Not going for anything more than a daily driver and I'm trying to make the swap as painless as possible. I've read just about every available thread on doing the swap and think I'm fairly well prepared. Just need the motor. Thanks.
If your car does not have the PS you really don't need to swap the pan OR the oil pick-up. In most cases just a small dimple is needed Or you can have the oil pan notched.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Unfortunately the car has stock PS so I'll have to move the pan and pickup over.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to deal with the dipstick?

I've heard of some drilling the block and others welding a tube directly to the pan. I'm keeping the 194 (its the original motor) so I'd like to make few modifications to the pan itself. I've looked for another 194 pan but no luck so far.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The block I used had a solid metal plug pressed into the middle dipstick hole. I drilled it slightly undersized and hit with a punch to remove the remaining outer diameter. The stock dipstick was a snug fit that I helped with a little bit of sealer.

The rear dipstick hole was plugged with a snug bolt and RTV as I'll be switching back to a rear sump pan when I do a Church Boys rack and pinion. You could run a tap in it for a bolt or find the correct size plug to tap into the hole.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So... After reading far to many horror stories about rebuillt engines from online sources I opted to scan local adds and almost immediately found a 250 w/Powerglide that was just pulled from a '67 Impala to make room for a V8. The engine runs great. Now I know I'm going to have to make mods for the oil system. Are there any mods to the electrical system or gauges or are all of the hookups the same?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I have both engines, ones a 67 and has a 194...

And the other is a 73 with a 250...

I had good gas mileage with the 250 but Im working with a setup as one of the members has mention (Fredsgarage)....

On the process at the moment gathering the parts and start....

But im going with a 700r4 instead of a 350TH that I have....:D

Its whatever you choose, its your car :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts