Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm pulling out my engine and trans bc I'm putting in a new 4 speed, and I figured while I had my engine out I would go through it and 1) See what it has ex. 4 or 2 bolt. and 2) try to upgrade it and get it running like a beast! The guy I bought it from basically put the engine back together with forma-seal, so I know i want to put a new gasket kit on it. It's got an aftermarket cam, but idk what it is, seems to be pretty mild, and it has edelbrock intake manifold, vavle covers and carbeurator. It's running pretty good, but it had its moments where its being bitchy and not running so well. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If you are pulling it out anyway then it would be a good time to look into doing some things. You may first want to determine just what you have in the motor. Figure out all the unknowns. At some point, if someone were to ask you what cam you had, or what heads, or your compression ratio....these are all things that...well at least I, would want to know.

You should also think about trying to figure out why it sometimes does not run well BEFORE you pull it. The more info you can gather the better.

For gaskets I would definitely recommend the felpro one piece unit.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What kind of budget are you on? I agree, if it's out, rebuild it and put a cam in that you like so you'll know what it is. Either rebuild or replace the heads depending on your goals and budget. Rebuild the bottom end. The peace of mind that will come with it will be well worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts