Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im saving and saving for new engine parts to haul some serious arse. im looking to going 400hp+..what do you guys recommend i get? right now i have about 1000 saved up. id like to see how much that can get me so far..any other recommendations would be nice 400+ 500+ idk mind but this is going to be a street car so nothing to excessive :D

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i will always say to go with 400 small block. Keep saving and keep your eyes out on craigslist for deals. You can build a 400 on a budget and make 450 hp easily.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will always say to go with 400 small block. Keep saving and keep your eyes out on craigslist for deals. You can build a 400 on a budget and make 450 hp easily.
only thing is that my block is matching numbers and i really dont wanna swap it out...so ill do what i can with it

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can easily make 400hp with your 355. What do you have to start with?
as of right now just a stock 350 only thing ive changed is the carb and the intake manifold i dont know much about new parts so im wondering what others recommend i get to have aleast over 400hp

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
well, pull that numbers matching valuable block and set it aside.. because if you put a window in it.. its worth nothing....

grab another block. build it and have fun.... when time comes.. reinstall the numbers matching unmolestd block back in and Wala... your value is saved...

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, pull that numbers matching valuable block and set it aside.. because if you put a window in it.. its worth nothing....

grab another block. build it and have fun.... when time comes.. reinstall the numbers matching unmolestd block back in and Wala... your value is saved...
which i had the money and space to get a new block but i dont :( i really want to build up my 350 and see what she can do

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
If money is an issue and you want to make 400+ hp then you'll want to stay with the standard stroke. Do you plan do drive this daily or is it a toy?

·
Registered
670 Posts
like what? im not good on brand and quality
cam, go with as big as you can without swapping out the torque converter, save some cash. I would go with Lunati or Comp Hydraulic Flat Tappet. Intake, i would go with an Edelbrock Performer RPM. Carb Spacer, HVH Super Sucker, i think it's like 80 bucks for the 1".

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Okay, well my combination is very streetable but probbably not the cheapest way to go. I have an Eagle rotating assembly with flat top hypereutectic pistons, it's been balanced and has all ARP fasteners. The cam is a hydraulic roller with .492/.492 lift and .228/.228 duration, it's a custom grind by Demos cams here in GA. The heads are Vortec iron heads with screw in studs and deeper spring pockets. Edelbrock performer RPM intake and QFT 650 dbl pumper with mechanical secondaries. MSD Probillet dist and MSD 6AL box.

Makes right at 400hp, idles well and makes lots of torque. Although mine is just a toy it would be fine for daily driving and it runs 12s on the track.

The hydraulic roller would be pricey for you since your block did not come with a roller cam.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Okay, well my combination is very streetable but probbably not the cheapest way to go. I have an Eagle rotating assembly with flat top hypereutectic pistons, it's been balanced and has all ARP fasteners. The cam is a hydraulic roller with .492/.492 lift and .228/.228 duration, it's a custom grind by Demos cams here in GA. The heads are Vortec iron heads with screw in studs and deeper spring pockets. Edelbrock performer RPM intake and QFT 650 dbl pumper with mechanical secondaries. MSD Probillet dist and MSD 6AL box.

Makes right at 400hp, idles well and makes lots of torque. Although mine is just a toy it would be fine for daily driving and it runs 12s on the track.

The hydraulic roller would be pricey for you since your block did not come with a roller cam.
12s? Nice. I think I need to run mine soon. My dad thinks it can pull high 11's, i call BS. I said probably mid 12. I have a little over 400hp in my 70, with 3.73s in the rear. How about you?

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cam, go with as big as you can without swapping out the torque converter, save some cash. I would go with Lunati or Comp Hydraulic Flat Tappet. Intake, i would go with an Edelbrock Performer RPM. Carb Spacer, HVH Super Sucker, i think it's like 80 bucks for the 1".
mmm anything else? about how much would that all cost?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
12s? Nice. I think I need to run mine soon. My dad thinks it can pull high 11's, i call BS. I said probably mid 12. I have a little over 400hp in my 70, with 3.73s in the rear. How about you?
4.11's and right around 400hp. built 700R4 with full manual valve body etc...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts