Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for some good little rebuild kits the ones with the cams, lifters and timing stuff, make some nice hp in the processes nothing big not gonna get any heads or anything major right now, what do you guys recommend? should i get one of those kits or buy different stuff? im looking at the edelbrock right now..let me know guys :yes:

·
Registered
508 Posts
im looking for some good little rebuild kits the ones with the cams, lifters and timing stuff, make some nice hp in the processes nothing big not gonna get any heads or anything major right now, what do you guys recommend? Should i get one of those kits or buy different stuff? Im looking at the edelbrock right now..let me know guys :yes:
not sure what your looking for but i have a complete bottom end for a .040 over 350. With all new parts. Scat crank (2 peice r/s) 6.0" rods and 12.1-1 pistons with a 64 cc head. Rings and bearings. I was going to biuld another little motor for a customer but he ended up going with a ls set up. Pm me if interested.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not looking for major hp but a nice cam, lifters and such, i dont got 2 grand for a complete rebuild kit like them edelbrock ones, just a nice set up mild engine i think its called the kind where u get great sound of the exahust and make some nice hp :yes:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are you looking for like a master kit to build say a 375HP/350 CID? Something with following:

Pistons
Rings
Bearings
Upgraded timing
Upgraded cam
Lifters
Brass Freeze Plugs
OIl pump
Gasket Kit

We call this a Master Kit with up graded performance parts.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you looking for like a master kit to build say a 375HP/350 CID? Something with following:

Pistons
Rings
Bearings
Upgraded timing
Upgraded cam
Lifters
Brass Freeze Plugs
OIl pump
Gasket Kit

We call this a Master Kit with up graded performance parts.
mmm how much are those?

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
You can buy master build kits from Northern Auto Parts online at a decent price, and can customize it how you want (different cam, pistons, etc...)

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont know jack about engine internals..so im hoping some of you can shine some light on it and point me in the right direction to a good kit at a good price..that kit from northern looks pretty good for the price..i dont even know where to began on selecting the right parts and such :no:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Do you want to rebuild the engine??? Or just improve performance on an engine in decent mechanical shape?

Do you want to do machine work/new pistons/rods/crankshaft? If so, and you're a newb, I would recommend a crate shortblock.

If not, I'd go something like this:

1. Heads - Vortec or used aftermarket. Or cheap, completely done camel humps. These will be the best "bang for buck" other than a camshaft, and won't sacrifice driveability.

2. Mild camshaft - Something between .450 and .480 lift. Usually looking for the lowest avertised (260 is better than 292), and .050 duration (220 is better than 244) for the same amount of lift. If you are keeping stock heads, I would try to get some valve springs as well. The basic "LT-1" springs should be okay for this. I would look at competition products for the best deal. The Lunati "Voodoo" cams are the best out there right now, but any of the older grinds will be fine in a basic hopped up street car.

3. Intake Manifold - Edelbrock Performer RPM or Airgap. Find used on craigslist for $50 all day.

4. Carb - Get a 750 VS Holley on craigslist that needs a rebuild. Buy a $10 "how to rebuild a holley" book. Get a $20 kit and fix up the carb.

5. HEI ignition - Summit sells one for $90 if you have points or need an upgrade on a beat up one.

6. 1 5/8's headers - cheap and good bang for buck

7. 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" exhaust - Summit and Jegs sell mandrel bent turbo muffler systems that won't kill your ears or your wallet

You won't really get a "kit" with these parts, but this is a basic recipe for a solid street 350. A good torque converter and 3.42/3.73 gears would probably do just as much as the items listed above. Also think about chassis set up - springs/shocks/subframe connectors and traction devices. They might be a better investment at this point. Build the car, then build the motor. That's a pretty good idea.

Kev

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pretty much wanna upgrade my engine right now not looking for a major rebuild right at this point..just some mild performance new cams lifters and other things good build for a good price. the thing im pretty sure i can afford right now is gonna be the heads ill hold off on that right now but what else can get some good performance out of my 350?

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are the edelbrock cams lifters and such good? i really love edelbrock gear :yes: wouldnt mind getting the cam and lifter rpm kit then build some other things around it

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Eddy cams are a rip off. They're 25 year old grinds that everybody else is selling for 1/2 the price. The EXACT SAME summit racing brand cam is $90 for the cam and lifter kit. Competition products sells it under the Elgin name for $90 as well. I think Eddy wants $170????

Like I said before. Find something between .450 and .480 lift with a tighter LSA (114's tend to have a mild idle and seem a little lazy to me).

I was looking at cams recently for my junk 350. I think something like this would be nice for a little street machine.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=100082

This would probably be the best thing on the market now, in most people's opinion:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60102LK/

Kev

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya i was looking in to the summit ones as well cause dam u get a lot for your buck there kits are priced very good cam lifters all thay for cheap :yes:

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is the kind of kit i was talking about but minus the intake manifold cause i have the eddy rpm performer one..or should i get different things like make my own combo? i just wanna get a mild power out of my 350 a mild cam just change a few things have that great sound out of a mild cam is what i love most :yes:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-300-502/?image=large

·
Registered
203 Posts
if I were on a tight budget like yourself I would only do a cam swap so it can give you that mean lumpy sound, and a new carb to increase the throttle response...

to break it down even more, new Holley street avenger(long beach swapmeet) $295
New cam & lifters from summit SUM-K1103 89.99

Total about 400 with shipping

and you have a pretty sick sounding nova

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if I were on a tight budget like yourself I would only do a cam swap so it can give you that mean lumpy sound, and a new carb to increase the throttle response...

to break it down even more, new Holley street avenger(long beach swapmeet) $295
New cam & lifters from summit SUM-K1103 89.99

Total about 400 with shipping

and you have a pretty sick sounding nova
ya man exactly what the answer i was for. im not on an extremely tight budget but ya bro im looking for that sick a** sound with a mild cam..is that all i need is a new cam and lifters? and how good are summit ones?

·
Registered
203 Posts
ya man exactly what the answer i was for. im not on an extremely tight budget but ya bro im looking for that sick a** sound with a mild cam..is that all i need is a new cam and lifters? and how good are summit ones?
yup thats all you need, like the one that i posted... SUM-K1103 doesnt have a lot of lift so your heads can handle it. I would definitly go with that kit. and saw off your mufflers that will make it louder obviously

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yup thats all you need, like the one that i posted... SUM-K1103 doesnt have a lot of lift so your heads can handle it. I would definitly go with that kit. and saw off your mufflers that will make it louder obviously
is that the make my stock heads can handle? im getting some x pipes with flowmasters before the rear wheels.i want that nice loud rumble

1 - 20 of 44 Posts