Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'67 4 door, 65 wagon. WISCONSIN
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost 2 years of owning Mr Repodude's 65 wagon, I started the process of stripping it down today.

I started with a hood I got from Nightshade. I'd been to Lowes and gotten a variety of sanding discs for my grinder. I started with those but nothing really seemed to be working as well as I'd hoped. So I switched to the Aircraft Paint Stripper. I think the first few coats I did were too thin. The original paint came off but the e-coat or primer wouldn't budge, so I sanded it off. I have concerns that too much of that will warp the metal.

Here's a picture of the hood after 5 hours of work. :eek: I think it might take years to strip the whole car.

So I washed it down with water (per the instructions on the stripper) and have some DuPont Etch Primer to spray on it so it doesn't rust. It is very humid out today, so I may wait until around 6 or 7 to actually paint it. I don't have any paint-prep, can I wipe it down with mineral spirits or should the water be enough?

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starting is always the funniest :devil:

This is the best stripper I have found yet
http://halonmarketing.com/mall/Spra' Strip.php
You can't spell 'strip' without 'trip' I'd hesitate to use any word with 'fun' in it to describe this activity.

The link has a tip about GM ecoat, to use stripper and steel wool (which I have plenty of from woodworking projects.) I will try that on future panels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After laying down a good coat of stripper, place a sheet of light poly on top of the panel and knock out the air bubbles. Idea is to keep the stripper wet as long as possible, in this heat the stripper dries to quick.

·
Registered
20,150 Posts
Years back I stripped(Aircraft stripper) a 69 Chevy truck down to bare metal and then painted it black. I had to use my DA with some 80 grit to take the last coat of stuff off.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the front fenders today, no pics, too tired after working on them all day and driving into town and back for more supplies (2 hour roundtrip)

This stripping is a lot more difficult than I thought. I've tried the Aircraft stripper, which barely touched the primer and undercoat on the fenders today (Not sure what Repodude did to them but he definitely stripped them because there was no GM primer like the hood.) I'm using some coarse stripping discs and my 4.5 in angle grinder. Even that is tough and I'm concerned about putting too much heat on the panels.

So far I'm sort of on schedule. I've done the hood and the fenders. Tomorrow and Thursday will be all 4 doors.

Is there an easier way or am I just being a baby? I'm a paper-pusher for a living. I'm not used to this amount of real work.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i agree with the comments about covering the stripper with a plastic sheet... it needs to stay wet to work. evaporation dries it out too quick to work sometimes, covering it will take care of that so the chemicals can do their work.

make sure to wash wash wash... you don't want any residue left on the metal prior to paint/primering...

looks good, i also agree about keeping us POSTed ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like your in a shop!
Nope, just my small 2 car garage, which means I cannot leave anything out because I have to put my Jeep back in each night.

Too cold today to use the stripper, so I spent the day taking the doors off and apart.

Something got mangled and then bondo'd

I was expecting worse, but it looks okay. We'll see once I strip it down

Before:

After:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
See if you can find some of the stripper I mentioned. I have a video in my build thread that shows what I got done in 20 minutes with it. Not sure if my car has ever been repainted. After scraping the loose stuff off I used one 24 grit (2 inch) sanding disc and that's how it ended up

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you get the car dipped? Yeah, it's expensive, but so is a lot of trips and supplies from the hardware store...
I looked into that but it was going to be close to $2000 and an 8 hour drive one-way.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Scraped this off with 3 different applications of Aircraft Stripper

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today I was playing around and think I've got it figured out.

Use a steel brush to scuff up the surface first. Then apply a liberal coat of stripper. Scrape off. Re-brush. 2nd coat of stripper. Scrape off. Use abrasive disc on angle grinder to clean everything up.

Forgot to wear my respirator during one stripper application. That stuff is nasty :puke:

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
My body man came over last night to see the work and give me some tips. He said I did okay and that it isn't really too important how the etch primer goes on, he's going to strip it all off before he does his work.

Here are some pics of what I did in a couple of hours this morning.

Some damage to one of the fenders that was previously bondo'd

Hopefully I'll get to paint the doors tomorrow. Too many chores to do :mad:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts