Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on rebuilding the rear end myself. But at a recent car show i received a 1/2 off labor coupon for randy's ring and pinion in everett (10 min away from my house)

I was torn between 3.42 or 3.73 gear ratio. I was leaning toward 3.42, but i'm a young guy and just lookin' to have fun! So here is what i went with:

- New ring and pinion 3.73 ratio
- new seals and bearings
- new axles
- yukon duragrip posi
- TA performance cover

- Plus i have a 1 year warranty on everything, lifetime on the gear set.

$1500 out the door.

I've only just broken in the gear set. I drove 15 miles then let it cool down, then drove another 15 miles and parked it for the night. I don't have to feather the clutch when taking off anymore and when shifting gears it just goes! I used to have to shift into 1st when taking a turn or else it would bog, but now i can take corners in second no problem.

They told me to take it easy for the first 500 miles. That seems like a lot to me.

How long do you guys usually wait till you start burnin' rubber with new
gears?

What gear lube do you guys use?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
500 miles... take it easy. it'll pass by quick enough...

sounds like you picked a great gear and got a good price.

i'm using std ol'GL5 (posi gear lube, 90wt) plus the Posi additive...

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I put those in my last 71 and loved them. Lots of fun. I have a 4.10 gear now.:D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
500 miles... take it easy. it'll pass by quick enough...

sounds like you picked a great gear and got a good price.

i'm using std ol'GL5 (posi gear lube, 90wt) plus the Posi additive...
Yeah well we don't have sunshine every single day like you Mr. Flyer. This time of year our days are numbered.

Oh yeah, i have to use the posi additive also.
Thanks for reminding me.

I put those in my last 71 and loved them. Lots of fun. I have a 4.10 gear now.:D
It's already screamin' for another gear on the highway. Can't imagine it with 4.10s!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just acquired an 8.8 out of a 96 explorer to install in my 1972 Nova. I was looking at 3.55 or 3.73 but the rear end I got is a 4.10 ratio. At the price I am in it the gear ratio will be fine....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heres a pic of the new cover. Looks beefy. Plus it has drain and fill plugs so i don't have to take the cover off when i change the fluid.

I've already driven the car 90 miles since I picked the car up yesterday at 5:00. Looks like the miles will fly by after all.... well as long as it stays dry.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Heres a pic of the new cover. Looks beefy. Plus it has drain and fill plugs so i don't have to take the cover off when i change the fluid.

I've already driven the car 90 miles since I picked the car up yesterday at 5:00. Looks like the miles will fly by after all.... well as long as it stays dry.
Very nice, I have the same cover but the screws that come with it or not for the 8.5 rearend that has the threads recessed about 1/4". I know yours should be the 8.5, but not sure if yours being a 73-74 has the recessed holes. I just put my stock one on for now until 500 mile service and then I will put my cover with the new stainless bolts I ordered on line. The bolts need to be 1/4" longer than what T/A supplies. After I did mine and got home I read the T/A paperwork and it says longer bolts required for recessed holes. Mine would have only been caught on about 2 maybe 3 threads max and if tightened very tight would be easy to strip the threads.

You can fill it thru the big hole in the rear if you can, but fluid still needs to come out to the level of the original side plug in the front of the rearend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts