Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am new here, but i have had my car for 8 years now. I have rebuilt the 350 and it's mostly stock. I am looking at beefing up some things and don't know where to start looking. I drive it around on the weekends alot so i don't want to go overboard but i want it to haul balls when it needs to also.

I am wanting to change the stall converter from stock to something higher rpm range. i have an edelbrock rpm manifold on it and edelbrock 650 with headers.

The other question is what gears are an all around good gear??? i have 3.08 now non posi.

thanks for any suggestions or help.

·
Registered
535 Posts
hey guys i am new here, but i have had my car for 8 years now. I have rebuilt the 350 and it's mostly stock. I am looking at beefing up some things and don't know where to start looking. I drive it around on the weekends alot so i don't want to go overboard but i want it to haul balls when it needs to also.

I am wanting to change the stall converter from stock to something higher rpm range. i have an edelbrock rpm manifold on it and edelbrock 650 with headers.

The other question is what gears are an all around good gear??? i have 3.08 now non posi.

Welcome to the site.

tell us more about your driving style, do you do lots of freeway driving? are you ok with the engine turning @ 4500 rpm on the freeway?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

Welcome aboard!!

First off, unless there's a cam change coming soon, there's not much to be gained with a converter change.:no: A Mild 2200-2500 would be as far as I would go otherwise you'll just be wasting some of the low end torque you're making.

For a mild build, 3.36's to 3.55's (depending on tire size) would be sufficient and still be easy on the revs going down the highway.

Hope that helps..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check this out

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118556

Check out my post in it. My setup is similar to yours except I have a cam. If you go too big on the stall, your car will die when you put it in drive. My 2400 stall, 3.73 gears, and mild 350 drops from 900rpm to 600rpm when shifting into drive. It moves great when I flash it but my brakes won't really hold the car still at much over 2k rpm. :D:D

You can call B&M, Summit, or who ever you decide to purchase your stall from and tell them what you have and what you have planned and they can recommend a good stall. IMO, a 2000 stall is about as high as I would go with your setup. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118556

Check out my post in it. My setup is similar to yours except I have a cam. 1. If you go too big on the stall, your car will die when you put it in drive. My 2400 stall, 3.73 gears, and mild 350 drops from 900rpm to 600rpm when shifting into drive. It moves great when I flash it but my brakes won't really hold the car still at much over 2k rpm. :D:D

You can call B&M, Summit, or who ever you decide to purchase your stall from and tell them what you have and what you have planned and they can recommend a good stall. 2. IMO, a 2000 stall is about as high as I would go with your setup. Hope this helps.
1. Huh?:no: That's bass-achwards...:yes: A Looser converter will make the idle easier. I've got a ATI 5000 Tree Master in my Sis-in-Laws car and the idle doesn't even change when it goes into gear.:no: Just gets a little different tone to it.

2. 1500-1800 is the STOCK stall range for the late 70's-early 80's Corvette :yes:
In my opinion, anything under 2200-2500 isn't worth the time or effort :no: because you'll never know the difference.:no::rolleyes:

·
Registered
438 Posts
In third gear with my th350 on 26 inch tall tires using a 3.50 gear, if I remember right my engine was turning right around 2800-3000 rpm at 55 mph. I now have a PG and a 4.10 gear but haven't had it on the highway since the change so I couldn't tell you how that gear worked out. It's great for in town driving though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help and the warm welcome!!!

the only highway use the car sees is a 20 mile stretch between my home town and where i work. but when i do drive it, it's not normal driving!! i did look at the currie crate rear ends for awhile! they look promising but alittle spendy.

·
14,588 Posts
Your 73 should have the 8.5 rearend in it. That rearend is being run in a lot of 8 and 9 second cars. It is almost as strong as the 12 bolt. I have the 8.5 in our 72 and it runs 10's all day with no problems. As for all around gears 3:42, 3:55 or 3:73's are really hard to beat for decent performance and still be driveable on the highway. If your engine is pretty much built to stock specs you could step up to about a 2400 stall on the converter. As for good budget aluminum heads the Edelbrock performer and performer rpm heads are a good buy. The performer and the performer rpm head are virtually identical except the performer has a heat crossover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i have been looking into posi's to get. The auburn limited slip looks like a good deal through summit.

any suggestions or good places to buy one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright I still haven't gotten one ordered yet. My next question is there a way to figure out if I have 28 or 30 spline axles without taking them out?

I really would like to get a complete rearend assembly but I don't have the funds for that.

Also is a posi unit something a weekened mechanic can install??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
you likely have 28 spline axles.

B/4 buying anything, I'd suggest you shop on e-bay just to become aware of what is available out there. You might be able to get a posi unit for $400 or less, gears for $200 or less, and an install kit for about $100. Then shop around and find someone local to install. Expect to spend $150-$300 for the install.

Many on this site set up their own gears, but I have never done it.
For someone unexperienced, figure two days and several trips to a shop to have the pinion bearing pressed off and on.

If you go to an experienced shop they can probably do in less than half a day.

I you have a basically stock setup, probably try the 3.42 or 3.55.

If you are planning on street/strip, go for the 3.73s.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I had read of many complaints regarding the Auburn carriers yet I have been running the Auburn pro series for 2 years with no issues. Cant speak of there other carrier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what is it? Kind of hard to make recommendations without knowing what this is used for.

Thanks for the input guys!!

I just want something I can drive around and have a good time with, but not have to trailer it around either because it has too high of gears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts