Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8.8 rearend gear and 05 mustang diff that I am gonna run. The question I have is will a 28 spline setup hold if I run moser axles the gear is a 410 with a 3800 stall the motor is a .30 over 350 with .480 speedpro cam with 305 heads running a 10.1 compression with 4 barrel carb and intake. In the future I plan to run aluminum heads with a 850 carb and 100shot of spray.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
What rearend do you have in the nova now? Im just wondering why the 8.8 and not the 9inch if your going threw the hassle of a swap? The ford 8.8 is about the same strength as the 8.5 chevy. Also most of the 4th genaration novas came with the 8.5 already installed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My car is a 76 nova it came with a inline 6 I was told that the rearend that came with the straight 6 came with a smaller rearend than the 8.5 I have swapped everything out except the rearend from the motor to the tranny, maybe I am wrong? The reason I was leaning towards a 8.8 is because I can pick up the whole rearend assembly for 75-100 bucks at a local junkyard and I have the rearend gears and diff already for it.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
It may have been changed at some point. I bought a few1976 and newer 6 cylinder Novas that had 8.5" rear ends. When checking the codes all were replaced and not original to the car. Check what you have before tossing it in the scrap pile. The 8.5" Nova rear has been getting scarce. Besides Nova owners wanting them I see them in older pick ups, street rods, kit cars and 1st gen Camaros. They have gained in popularity as a good rear to use in as a replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts