Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across what was a Nova of possibly '74 vintage. The rearend had the small pointed lugs on the bottom. (See http://novaresource.org/axle.htm). So I assumed it was a 7.5/7.625" housing. But it also had the small pointed lugs on the top as well! So it doesn't exactly match either of the 8.5 or 7.5" pictures.

It seemed to be a 2.73 ratio and with either a posi, or the spider gears were welded, looked like the cover had been removed at one point. Really wasn't in a safe position to get totally under the car. And couldn't read the nubers on the axle housing. Definitely had pointed ears on top and bottom though. Axle housing appeared on the small side to me, but I had nothing to directly compare it with.

Anyone have a clue as to what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
It is possible that the rear end may have been a G body coil spring unit. The ears on top could be what was left of the bushing castings. The 7.5" rear end cover is more of an oval shape, the 8.2 and 8.5 are round.

·
Registered
391 Posts
that rear-end sounds like a 7.5in,thats what i had in my 76 originally! 6cyl,car ,,it had lugs [email protected]ed like c-casting toke out of the lugs,,,if you know what i mean.i got a 8.5in out of a 75 olds omega,and the lugs are [email protected]!also looks beefier.hope that helps..take-er-easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kinda thought it might be. Wasn't sure when the 7.5" was available. The wierd part was the posi (can you even get one in that rear, and why bother?), but it could have been a welding job just to have some cheap fun. The engine was long gone, so couldn't tell if it was a V8 car or not.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts