Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the rearend out of my nova to do some repairs. I can't seem to find any numbers on the axle tube. It is a 12 bolt, the Ring gear is 3862526 10 41 4 69. Which is a 4:10 ring gear. I've scraped and sanded all the locations that they say to look for numbers. Is it possible it was purchased over the counter, and not originally installed in a vehicle? I'm more than anything just curious about the rearend. Thanks for any insight.

·
6,419 Posts
The stamped numbers on my 68 are almost at the top of the tube and I found them with the rear axle still in the car and had to use a mirror to see them.

On my 74, the numbers were pretty much facing forward.

While you say you sanded the area's could you have gotten to aggressive and sanded the numbers out if they were stamped in there lightly ?. Or could some one else have sanded the tubes down and the numbers got removed at some point in the cars life ?.

Maybe too, check the casting number on the center section and see if it lays out with the build date of the car.

This is one the one in my 68 with a June build car:

The code comes out to be May 28, 1968 which means the center was cast a few weeks before the car was assembled.

Jim

·
Vendor
1,502 Posts
They are in the general location Custom Jim indicated for a lot of years and across I think all GM cars. They can be stamped lightly and hard to see buried under decades of dirt and grime. His '68 pics are a great example of how haphazardly they were stamped, as well as how surface rust can encroach on them. I imagine there are many rust belt cars where the stamps have become discernible.

If the gears have not been changed, the ring gear will have numbers stamped on it that can also aid in identification of the gear set. Lending clues to the rear end.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That "4 69" on your ring gear is the production date for your gears - April 1969. The pinion should have 4 69 on it too. If the production date for your car is after April, it's probably original to your car.
I have a 66 Nova 12 bolt that has 1 66 on the gears and the housing is stamped FP0420G E (3.73, April 20th build date, Detroit Gear, Eaton posi).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, The axle tubes have no numbers stamped on them, I've wire brushed and pressure washed it clean. I did find the center section casting, confirming it's a 12 bolt. I know this is not the original rear end, was just curious what it might of come out of. A bit of bad news after cleaning the rear end I found some cracks where the spring perch connects to the axle tube, gonna have to find someone to weld it up for me.:rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts