Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 235/60-14 inch BFGoodrich tires and mounted them on the rims with a 4.5" backspacing. Go to mount them on the cars and the drivers side tucks under the quarterpanel BUT the clearance is about 1/2". The passenger side does NOT tuck under BUT sticks out of the quarterpanel about 1/2" with about 1/2" clearance from top of tire to bottom of wheelwell. I dont think these tires will ever fit even though others are using them.:confused:

It seems that my axle is shifted towards the passenger side about 1/2" and that the height on the passenger side is about 1/2" higher than the drivers side. I bought new monoleaf springs and laying them on the ground before installing them they were identical.

Can I move the axle towards he drivers side just by losening the perch bolts? I dont think I got a 1/2" play. It was somewhat like this before I started the restoration but I just contributed it to a body twist and rust. Is this somewhat normal? The rear end is the original one and I dont think its ever been out until I removed it.

Is there something I can do to raise the body up in the rear a little to make for more clearance also? Air shocks are not an option. I really want to use these tires.

Not sure what to do about the height difference either? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The rearend under my 66 was not centered and everyone I have talked to with one has said the same thing. I centered mine when I changed the rearend out to a 9" F**d. Mine was the opposite way of yours though. More clearance on the passenger side than driver's side.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts