Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good windshield installer that does it correctly, near Whittier, Ca? I don't want one that just slaps it on with a tube of silicone and says it's good. I also want to have the trim installed.

·
Super Moderator
3,882 Posts
Good question. A couple of questions:

Is the channel in good shape? And is it uniform all the way around the windshield frame? My convertible, from the factory, had some slight misalignment of the sheetmetal before the channel was spot welded, and it made it VERY difficult to get the rubber and windshield in with the trim to sit flat. Put the trim in the rubber completely, and without the windshield, check and see how close it fits. It's easy to get in and out without the glass.

Whittier is getting kinda close to the Orange Curtain, but you'll still be able to call on Bourret Auto Glass, 626-444-0343. I don't have a stake in their business, but I have used them several times on older cars including my Nova with good results.

·
3,869 Posts
Maybe the first question is what year? Different years use different processes.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
If it is the rear glass it is totally different than the front.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good question. A couple of questions:

Is the channel in good shape? And is it uniform all the way around the windshield frame? My convertible, from the factory, had some slight misalignment of the sheetmetal before the channel was spot welded, and it made it VERY difficult to get the rubber and windshield in with the trim to sit flat. Put the trim in the rubber completely, and without the windshield, check and see how close it fits. It's easy to get in and out without the glass.

Whittier is getting kinda close to the Orange Curtain, but you'll still be able to call on Bourret Auto Glass, 626-444-0343. I don't have a stake in their business, but I have used them several times on older cars including my Nova with good results.
Here's some pics; can the glass be installed as is?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,882 Posts
I would absolutely, positively, get a wire brush or wheel and get all the crud and rust out of the channel before the rubber goes in. You have to be very careful with the paint and tape, tape, tape before you do. You will have problems if there is rust or scale or unfinished metal in the channel. Some carefully applied rust-preventative paint will do the trick as well. I have had bad luck with silicone or other sealants on the rubber, but maybe another member has good input.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, but this one is glued on, no rubber. what Rust preventative paint is good? rustoleum, spray can type?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts