Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I bought one of those windshield removal tools--the one with the curved blade and the pull handle attached to it. I figured out how to get underneath the bottom part of the rear window and pull it right across to break the seal. How can I break the seal on the sides and top and start sliding the blade in the same fashion as the bottom--what am I missing? The tool breaks the seal and goes across the bottom great once you get it started. Now I want to finish the job and get that thing outta there!! Any help to solve this will really help. Thanks--Eric

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I used a utility knife from the inside of the car to cut the top and side seals and then used the same utility knife to cut the bottom seal from the outside of the car...took a little effort but worked like a charm;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
We used weed wacker wire to get the rear window out of the back of the 66 Chevelle. Can use piano or guitar wire. Poke a hole through the seals from the inside to the outside, pull the wire through and wrap around 2 small pieces of stick (pieces of broken hockey sticks are great for this). One person on the inside and one on the outside using a back and forth saw cutting motion will cut right through that seal. Window out in 5 - 10 minutes...

Eastwood has a tool for this... http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2006&itemType=PRODUCT

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I have used guitar string in thw past, works great! My son keeps wondering where his strings are going.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your suggestions--maybe buying the tool was a waste. Seems like the wire or weed wacker idea is the way to go. I will give it a shot!!--Thanks--Eric

·
Registered
75 Posts
window

Having read this post yesterday as inspirado, I decided to share my experience. I got front and rear glass out of a 72 using only a utility knife. The front glass I may not be much help on as it needed one pass on the bottom and it lifted rigth out (nice, I know). The rear however was NOT easy. After multiple passes from inside with teh knife against the glass, I made a few passes from the outside, around the edge of the glass. As the sealer had oozed around the edge, this was what finally let her come loose. Also, I did not have the key to the trunk, but was able to pull the rear glass out from under the trim at the trunk lid. I would say that using a cord or weed eater string might be difficult on rear glass as there is a tight jog just off the glass up to the body. Best of Luck to anybody else!

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hey guys
I bought one of those windshield removal tools--the one with the curved blade and the pull handle attached to it. I figured out how to get underneath the bottom part of the rear window and pull it right across to break the seal. How can I break the seal on the sides and top and start sliding the blade in the same fashion as the bottom--what am I missing? The tool breaks the seal and goes across the bottom great once you get it started. Now I want to finish the job and get that thing outta there!! Any help to solve this will really help. Thanks--Eric
Keep pulling around the corner then push it up the side and across the top as far as you can reach. Then pull the tool from the other side and down the side to the bottom. I do this EVERY day that tool is what we use. Make sure the blade is SHARP!:yes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use the cable wire from the hood release junk yards are full of them cut the end out at the hood release and pull cable out with hood relese handle inside the car they are long enough I can cut the windows out alone dont saw to fast or the cable will heat up and break

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Spray water or some type of glass cleaner on the wire to lubricate it. This will also cool the wire down so it is less likely to break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts