Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to hook up my 3rd gen with a rear traction set-up. What are most of you guys using, I used to have the comp eng slide a link on my 67 nova and it worked great. My friends are recommending the cal-tracs system, the price between the 2 is a $20 dollar difference. My main concern is I would like a set-up that relocates the shocks to a different position because I need the clearance for my rear tires.

·
Registered
562 Posts
the caltracs are what most are using. i put them on my car also. as far as moving the shocks inboard for clearance. the caltracs come with a new lower spring mount that has shock mounts on it, you can put shocks in or out, front or back. it has two tabs for front and back but my fuel cell mount is in the way. you can kinda see.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a nice set-up, I have the lakewood 50/50's on the rear and the shock just clears just a tiny bit from the tire, I run a 15x8 with a 5.5 back space and the tire is a 28x10 slick, so the relocation of the shock is important. How easy was it to install the cal-tracs " any welding required " or was it bolt in.

·
Registered
562 Posts

this one is better.if your wondering why the stock rails were still in in this photo, i was driving it back and forth to my parents to work on it. i cut those stock rails out soon after the new springs were installed. :yes: hope this helps

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thats a nice set-up, I have the lakewood 50/50's on the rear and the shock just clears just a tiny bit from the tire, I run a 15x8 with a 5.5 back space and the tire is a 28x10 slick, so the relocation of the shock is important. How easy was it to install the cal-tracs " any welding required " or was it bolt in.

they are just bolt in. i went a little nuts with mine. i put in the new rails so i can run a 28x12.5x15 tire, and have the option down the road to go with a 14 inch tire. i also put in split mono leafs with chrysler style eyes for the spring sliders.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job, I was pushing more towards the cal-tracs anyways because my buddy has them on his 68 camaro and he swears by them. Like I stated on my thread I ran the slide-a-link on my 67 and they worked great I just wasn't happy with the adjusting nuts coming loose all the time, you had to stay on top of your adjustments.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yea i think there both good. i really like the design of the caltrac though. the people at calvert racing are great also. im gonna be given them a call again when my rearend gets done just to double check my pinion agles before i weld the perches in

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Cals are nice but i hear they make noise on the street, CE's look like they would be quiet, cant you put some loctite on the nuts? anyway i run a custom homemade set that uses the design of both. I favor the CE's.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cals are nice but i hear they make noise on the street, CE's look like they would be quiet, cant you put some loctite on the nuts? anyway i run a custom homemade set that uses the design of both. I favor the CE's.
I guess I could do that, the CE's do really work, my 67 was totaly stock suspension with the exception of front and rear drag shocks and moroso trick springs and I 60 footed a 1.28 on a 26x9 tire all day long with a 680 horse small block.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I guess I could do that, the CE's do really work, my 67 was totaly stock suspension with the exception of front and rear drag shocks and moroso trick springs and I 60 footed a 1.28 on a 26x9 tire all day long with a 680 horse small block.
How did you keep it from wheel hopping without any bars? A 1.28 60 ft. is incredible on stock suspension.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How did you keep it from wheel hopping without any bars? A 1.28 60 ft. is incredible on stock suspension.
There was no wheel hop at all, the car was all steel except the hood, it had chrome bumpers and all that jazz, it weighed 3175 with me in it. front and rear drum brakes. The car was a true sleeper and I can thank the guys at ATI for building an awesome converter the car had no trans brake , I foot braked the car and left barely above idle:clap: The car was awesome and then I had to sell it like an idiot because I was getting divorced, but thats a whole other thread and I moved on to the 3rd gen that I building now :yes::D

·
Registered
769 Posts
how about smith racecraft maxx tracs ? as for the cla track if you are worried about the street ride slide a piece of hose over the pin/bolt that contacts the spring to take up the noise and back off your preload while on the street

1 - 20 of 33 Posts