Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation, I have a 1972 Nova non-tubbed running a MT drag slick jegs part#672-3056R which is a 29.5 x 9.0-15 with 4.88 rear gears. The driver side rubs a little on the inside and the passenger side rubs a little on the outside. My questions is: will a p275/60r15 drag radial tire (28 x 11.5-15) fit? I plan on running two classes at the track so I need dot drag tires.
thanks for the help

·
Registered
163 Posts
Probably, the 275/60 is only about 28 inches tall which will help. What size wheel is it going on? It's the section width you need to check. An 8 inch wheel (with the correct back space) should fit no problem, 10 inch wheel maybe not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have several sizes to choose from...
a 15 x 8 weld draglite wheel 4.5 BS
a 15 x 7 Ralley wheel 4.375 BS (I think)
a 15 x 7 centerline wheel 5 BS

i would like to use the weld draglite wheel

what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just checked the section on the 29.5 x 9 -15 is 11.4 according to jegs
and the 28 x 11.5 - 15 is 11.2 or 11.5 depending on if its a std drag dot tire or a radial.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What wheel are you using now with the 29.5 x 9 ? You need to actually measure that tires section width on your wheel since you know how it fits. Sometimes published and actual don't match.

I have the MT 275/60-15 on 7 inch wheels and my section width is about 11 3/8 inches. I wish I had some 8 inch wheels but that's what I had so I used them. The seven will draw the sidewalls in a little but not much.

It sounds like whatever wheel you're using now is the right one if you're rubbing on both sides in opposite places, if that makes any sense.

By the way, going from 29.5 to 28 inches tall is going to lower your effective gear ratio quite a bit I think. Is that what you want?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
With a 15x8 you need more backspacing to make it work better.
Have you tried loosening up all the U-bolts and getting the rear end centered a little better? Sometimes you can cheat it over a little--I got lucky with mine, it's the only Nova/Camaro I've seen that was dead centered.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lower ratio isnt really the goal. The goal is the use of a dot rated tire, so I can run a street class and a foot brake class on the same day. The car is very consistant between runs (12.15ish), but the driver isnt:no:. So I figure Im already there why not run both. Occasionally I use to run super pro, but at the track I run at, that class runs 11.99 and quicker.
thanks for the help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll be posting pics soon. I just put on 275/60/r15's on 15 x 8's Rallys w a 5.5 in bs. I had to use 1/4 spacers on each side (new longer studs as well) but they fit great w no rubbing issues. The outer fenders had been previously trimmed

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
just mounted my 275/60/15 m/t drag radials today. put them on 15x8 star wheels with 5.5" backspace. pass side was fine no rubbing but dr. side rubbed slightly so i am going with a 7/16" spacer on that side. i guess because these cars tend to mount the rear to the pass. side you could maybe do better with a 5.0" backspace on the dr. side. and 5.5" on the pass side. at least that would have worked for me. i included a couple of pics because people were asking for some.. not trying to hijack.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the pictures. My brother picked up a used set at a swap meet this weekend. So if they dont fit with the rims that I have, it wont be a great loss. Also my friend with the tire mounting machine said that he would mount the different rims so I can try the different rim combo's out. I'll post pictures when I get thru checking the combo's out. Mdla, what's your bs on your 7" rims?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mdla, what's your bs on your 7" rims?
My wheels are 4.5" backspace, but my rearend is 1/2 inch narrower on each side than standard. Long story don't ask.

So a 5 inch would be perfect with a stock width rearend. The 8 inch wheel would work even better for me. Mine is very close inside, with a lot of room on the outside.

Here's a bad pic but you can see the car sits over the tires pretty low with lots of room. I can put my hand between the tire and outer lip with room to spare. The lip has been cut back and rolled though.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
My wheels are 4.5" backspace, but my rearend is 1/2 inch narrower on each side than standard. Long story don't ask.

So a 5 inch would be perfect with a stock width rearend. The 8 inch wheel would work even better for me. Mine is very close inside, with a lot of room on the outside.

Here's a bad pic but you can see the car sits over the tires pretty low with lots of room. I can put my hand between the tire and outer lip with room to spare. The lip has been cut back and rolled though.

Hi Mdla
what size and brand is your front wheel set up? also do you have any other full pictures of your car? it looks really good! thanks so much

·
Registered
163 Posts
The wheels are weld pro stars 3.5 x 15. The tires are pro trac 215/75 -15. I liked them because they're tall, almost 28 inches, so they fill up the wheel wells. I've had them a while, they were a lot cheaper when I bought them.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Coker+Tire/257/71980/10002/-1

I don't really have any good current pics. Here's an old one. The front end is a couple inches lower now. But basically the same. It just started raining when I took this so it looks a little funky. Thanks for the compliments, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
MDLA...car looks very good. On my 3rd gen, my 3 1/2 Weld rim is tucked in the fender......yours looks close to the lip itself. How close is your tire to rubbing on your fender?

·
Registered
163 Posts
MDLA...car looks very good. On my 3rd gen, my 3 1/2 Weld rim is tucked in the fender......yours looks close to the lip itself. How close is your tire to rubbing on your fender?
Thanks, I need to get some better, more current pics. The fender actually comes down over the tire now with plenty of room. No rubbing ever. I think it's just an optical illusion in that pic.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
i was looking to put 275/60/15's on my rear and my wheels are 15x8 with 5.25 backspacing i have 235/60/15's on them now i know most of them fit with that wheel but i want to measure to be sure cause nothing ever seems to work out for me so how much room on each side will i need for the 275's to fit if i measure from the 235's?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts