Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 72 Nova, with 255/60 m/t ss. 650hp. Need more traction .Stock fender wells with lip trimmed. Need to know how much tire and wheel i can clear, w/o trial and error. Anyone went through this? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What suspension front and rear shocks, springs? What are you going to use the car for primarily? 100% drag car? 50/50 street/strip?
What class are you racing in?

You can fit a 275/60/15 or a 28x9 drag slick and that is enough to hook up the power you have at the track with a good working suspension, both front and rear have to be functioning properly for the car to work.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you really want to push it, a 9X30 slick can fit in the opening. My friend has an NHRA H/SA 69 Nova and 9X30 is the largest tire allowed by the rules. But like was said, if the suspension is not right with the amount of hp you say you have, you can put a 14X32 slick on it and it won't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response guys. Very little street driving. Few shows, little street rod, some strip. I did try a friends 275/50 with 5” bs and had plenty of clearance, but didn’t much like the height, was pretty sure I could go 60’s , maybe a 285/60-15 with 5.5 bs. Just wanna stretch it to the limit w/o altering fender wells. Thanks for everyone’s input. All appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The suspension has Calvert 90/10 front Calvert adjustable on rear Cal-trac bars and mono
Cal- trac Springs with uni body frame extenders. Just trying to get a decent hook up for a small tire car and stay with stock fender wells.

·
Registered
266 Posts
what tire you got on it now... i have seen cars down here on a 255/60 runnings 8's... put a Mickey T R on it and it should work.. think they have a slightly softer side wall than the SS ... still not a bias tire but better than the radial SS.. just my opinion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got 255/60-15 now dunrite. I think you’re right about the ss. Need to get some real slicks just for strip. Softer compound more sidewall flex. Thought I’d push size to max. Thanks for input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am kinda in the same fix myself.. I have 15x8 with 5" backspace.. i was thinking MT 275 60 15... will a 10.5 tire fit without having to tear up the wheel well? we have a monoleat w/ assasin bars from Smith. shocks ar mounted inside the spring instead of outside the spring will the afore mentioned tire fit on these wheels?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts