Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 Vert with a sway bar in the rear. It was on the car when I bought so I have no idea if it is a GM bar or something else. It has new grommets on the back of the bar and a pieced together end link on each end of the bar. The end links consist of a long bolt dropped down from the frame with several different types of spacers all capped on the bottom by a acorn type nut that is semi pointed rather then the customary dome. One side cannot be tightened down enough to compress the stuff and lock down the end of the bar. I have found end link kits on Summit Racing, but I have no idea how long one should be and what type works best.

Is there a way to identify if this is an original type rear sway bar from GM or an after market bar?
If I disconnect both ends of the bar with the car sitting on the ground, how much space should there be between the end of the bar and the bottom of the frame?

Summit lists so many different end link kits, I am not sure which one to buy.

Thanks
Craig

·
Vendor
1,780 Posts
Not an original GM bar so you can cross that off the list. I have never seen a rear sway bar in the RPO codes for 1962 - 67.

Is the problem you are running out of thread when tightening and thus it is staying loose?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses everyone. Deuce, I contacted ADDCO with a couple pictures of my current bar. They said it is not one of theirs and I should try Hellwig. I contacted Hellwig and sent their support section some pictures. They are going to look them and see if they think the bar is one of theirs. The guy from ADDCO said one of their end link kits should fit and work fine with the Hellwig bar. I might add that the representatives from both companies were very prompt to respond and were very helpful via the emails. Thanks to both Kevin at Hellwig and Edmond at ADDCO.

On another note, I spoke with Chuck JR at CBR. He said they do not make or sell a rear sway bar. He went on to say, they have been involved in testing and comparing sway bars for other companies in the past. Chuck said in every test, the cars performed better with no sway bar at all on the rear. In every one of theirs tests the rear end would lose traction and spin much sooner if there were no sway bar on the rear of the car. I have spoken with a couple of other people who echoed that opinion.

At this point I am considering taking the current sway bar off the car and driving it for a while. The worst that can happen is I would get new end links and put the bar back on. I'll post how it feels with no sway bar in the rear when that happens.

Craig

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
A rear sway bar has a place in some applications but they are not always a positive benefit. In a drag racing or straight line speed runs a rear sway bar is helpful as the weight rapidly transfers to the rear axle and plants the tires onto the pavemen at launch. This also helps to keep the body from rolling over to the passenger side during the launch. This keeps the body flatter and helps to keep the rear tires more evenly planted under acceleration.

Where cornering is concerned a rear sway bar can have negative effects on handling. When vigerously negotiating corners the weight transfer is side to side. As a vehicle turns into a corner the weight begins to transfer to the outside wheels and the body will roll to the outside of the corner as well. This plants the the two outside wheels and lightens the the contalct pressure of the inside wheels. The rear inside wheel has the lightest contact pressure. With a rear sway bar in place the rear inside wheel will want to maintain a level attitude relative to the chassis and can actually loose contact with the pavement.

·
Registered
476 Posts
There is a difference between a sway bar and an anti-roll bar on differentials. The conversation is getting a little crossed. How about a picture?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
There is a difference between a sway bar and an anti-roll bar on differentials. The conversation is getting a little crossed. How about a picture?
Maybe you could explain your problem with the terminology here. Sway bar, anti sway bar, and anti roll bar are generally synonymous terms used to label a torsion bar that links the right and left suspension to limit body roll.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thug. I don't have a "problem", simply my understanding is the anti-roll bar is a drag racing usage only. This is very rigidly installed from the frame to the rear axle at both sides of the rear end, and would not allow a normal street suspension springs to work. It would be so rough riding it wouldn't work. They are for straight line racing, no value to cornering.

A sway bar still allows a spring suspension to work and only comes into play when cornering typically. This is usually a large round bar mounted to the rear suspension only, independent of the frame, that is a torsion spring that resists twisting and decreases body roll.

That's my understanding of the difference. I was not attacking your post, just thought clarification between the two needed. Maybe I don't really know the difference. I asked for a picture so we could clarify what we're talking about. Have a good day.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, here is what I took off the car

I was taught this is a sway bar. Sorry if I used the wrong terminology

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well, I would guess it’s a “package” thing. If the car has/had soft shocks and springs, you might go for a sway bar to settle it down (body roll) if the driver thought it felt excessive. There isn’t much adjustment available to the factory suspension. A sway bar is probably much cheaper than a set of high end shocks or coil over conversion. Just guessing but I think you did the right thing. Take it off and see how you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Okay, here is what I took off the car
View attachment 407171

View attachment 407172

I was taught this is a sway bar. Sorry if I used the wrong terminology
Your term is fine..

An anti-roll bar is a roll bar, is an anti-sway bar, is a sway bar, is a stabilizer bar... They are all terms that refer to the same thing... Your purpose or need for a rear sway bar will be dictated by the intended use of the vehicle. A sway bar is used to maximize traction and minimize body roll due to weight transfer be it fore to aft as in drag racing or side to side when negotiating corners. A drag race type setup would benefit from a rear sway bar. A corner carver would not..

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since it was coming off I didn't really look much at the frame mount. From what I remember seeing, the steel mounting tab was actually bolted to the frame. This side had a series of four nylon (?) discs one on top of the mount, two between the frame tab and the top of the bar and one below the bar. The other side was the one making me scratch my head. It had a washer on top of the tab, a steel spacer and one nylon disc between the tab and the bar with another steel spacer below the bar. I assumed the "bad" side was wrong, but wasn't sure about the four nylon discs on the other side. Right now, it doesn't matter much since the bar and all the spacers are in the loft in my shop.

I drove the car a bit today. To be honest, I really didn't see much, if any, change in the ride. Last month I put on a set of CBR upper and lower control arms, a Church Bar and a set of Viking coil over shocks. That made a major improvement in vehicle handling, I am very happy with that change.

My next quest will be to move the entire rear end to the right about 1/4". I put 205/65R 15 tires on the back and found there isn't hardly any room on the driver's side, Ii have a Very light tire sidewall rub on the driver's side. Every time I think I'm about done, something else pops up. Oh well, I guess this is the challenge in working on old steel.
Be safe

Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts