Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas....Just bought the Nova and it is a project car barely started by the previous owner. The rear end is a narrowed 9" with a ladder bar kit. There is nothing else done to the rear. No shocks!

The question:

What shocks do I install? The ladder bars interfere with the
mounting holes on the brackets on the leaf spring mounts. I want to race the car but want it to be street legal as well so it needs to be able to drive to cruise night etc.

I am brand new to this so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
a pair of coil overs would be very streetable & solve your problems

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All right, no pics yet, sorry guys. Just set up the photobucket site. I told you I was new at this, right?

Anyway, the ladder bars look like antiques...no rod ends, square type bars, looks real old, or real cheap. So...I want to strip/street this thing. Ultimate goal is high 9s? Should I just go back to a street set up with spilt monos and caltracs? Or should I back half the car with a 4 link and coil overs? Or should I stick with these ladder bars, or better yet get real ladder bars and put in the coil overs? I also heard some guys running with ladder bars and leaf springs with floaters? Not sure too much on that one.

I think this car will be a street car class so if I don't go with leaf springs am I making a big mistake and putting myself out of certain classes?

By the way, the leaf springs have been moved in board and the inside of the front of the springs seem to be supported by the ladder bar suport that goes across the front. The back of the leaf springs seam to be spoorted from the outside only.

I don't want anything more than a 10.5 tire.

What would you all do in my case? I promise to figure out this picture thing pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Has the rear floor and tubs been cut out? is it mini tubbed? I've heard people using ladder bars and leaf springs but its rare. Are the spring perches still on the rear end housing? the spring mounts still there?

·
Registered
51 Posts
sounds like my car ladder bar,mono leaf , sliders ill take some pics and show you what we did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear floor is till there. The stock tubs have been cut up to fit a larger tire. They are still there sort of glued and taped into place. I plan to install mini tubs. The spring perches are on the slightly narrowed ford 9" housing, but no upper shock brackets...oh, but there is a sheered of bolt left in the passenger side mounting holes.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I would be difficult to say without seeing how much cutting has been done to the car. It also depends what type of racing you plan on doing. Do you want to be class specific, if so what class or just bracket race?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
If it were mine, I'd look at getting replacement sheetmetal and put it back more like stock, but maybe with a small mini tub. Then I'd run leaf springs and Cal-tracks. It'll be very street friendly and still work at the strip. A ladder bar/coilover rear would ok really well, but if you're going to drive the car alot, it's alot easier to find parts for a stock style suspension if you break something. JMO.

If you do use ladder bars, buy a set of good adjustable bars and loose those antiques. They look great hanging on the garage wall.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it were mine, I'd look at getting replacement sheetmetal and put it back more like stock, but maybe with a small mini tub. Then I'd run leaf springs and Cal-tracks. It'll be very street friendly and still work at the strip. A ladder bar/coilover rear would ok really well, but if you're going to drive the car alot, it's alot easier to find parts for a stock style suspension if you break something. JMO.

If you do use ladder bars, buy a set of good adjustable bars and loose those antiques. They look great hanging on the garage wall.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am building this car to race and drive on the street occasionally. I have a good daily driver already. How much better will the ladder bars and coilovers hook up vs. caltracs and calvert split leafs? If I go with the leafs, then I can race almost any class, I think. If I have ladder bars, I think that disqualifies me from some street classes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts