Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a pair of leaf springs for my 78 @ Carlisle, the 41 yr old originals and the decades old air shocks need a rest.
Not going back to air shocks. I don't have a prob w/ tire clearance.
Any recommendations for rear shocks?

Thanks !

·
Registered
878 Posts
For a street car I like KYB's for the money.
Reasonable at Rock Auto.
A lot of people like Bilstein's but they are twice the cost

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a street car I like KYB's for the money.
Reasonable at Rock Auto.
A lot of people like Bilstein's but they are twice the cost
I saw the KYB's. Looked at ACDelco too. Been awhile since I shopped for Nova shocks.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
X2 KYB Gas-a Just Really good shock for the money. I got a great deal on my fronts from Rock Auto. Can't remember where I got rears. --Maybe Amazon or ebay.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,113 Posts
Suggest you take some measurements with the leaf spring installed.
unless your 100% sure on the leaf springs, that they are Original equipment I wouldn't buy shocks until I was sure of the extended length, stroke etc. I saw a vid on youtube from summit I think on how to measure for shocks.
Here's the research I did for shocks for my car., pic one .

PO put the mutlileaf springs in with plates for and shocks for single leaf height..... the "duestch" shocks were not the correct length/ stroke and were trashed after 5k miles. I have 4" shackles in the back and that adds to the stroke/ travel requirements.
Also a picture of the new shocks I put in, the Monroe 5820. she rides like new now!. I got them from rockauto, $22.00 each with a 5% discount and a free magnet!

LOL

hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
That's a good point... My springs are listed for 69 Camaro and my original shocks would fully extend before spring travel was finished... I solved problem with a pair of $5 shock extensions from SPEEDWAY.

You can just barely see shock extension here at about 1 o'clock in rear wheel well.

shell fuel station locations

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suggest you take some measurements with the leaf spring installed.
unless your 100% sure on the leaf springs, that they are Original equipment I wouldn't buy shocks until I was sure of the extended length, stroke etc. I saw a vid on youtube from summit I think on how to measure for shocks.
Here's the research I did for shocks for my car., pic one .

PO put the mutlileaf springs in with plates for and shocks for single leaf height..... the "duestch" shocks were not the correct length/ stroke and were trashed after 5k miles. I have 4" shackles in the back and that adds to the stroke/ travel requirements.
Also a picture of the new shocks I put in, the Monroe 5820. she rides like new now!. I got them from rockauto, $22.00 each with a 5% discount and a free magnet!

LOL
I looked at both the Monroe and KYB (KG5506). Since this is a stock set up I may go with the Monroes. Thanks for the detailed info.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good point... My springs are listed for 69 Camaro and my original shocks would fully extend before spring travel was finished... I solved problem with a pair of $5 shock extensions from SPEEDWAY.

You can just barely see shock extension here at about 1 o'clock in rear wheel well.

shell fuel station locations
I got the springs from Lutty's. They brought to Carlisle so I didn't have to pay shipping.
As you can see, the back end is low, air shocks leak, and having the new springs in the trunk doesn't help. :)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
That sounds like it worked well with Luttys. It's been a few years since Ive been to Carlisle. Ive missed that! Maybe next year.

I got tired of my air shocks too and wanted to go conventional. When I put regular shocks on it sat a little lower in the rear than I wanted so I put aftermarket shackles on that were about 1 1/2" longer to adjust the rear height. Somehow it all works pretty well ride and handling-wise.:rolleyes: My car is now lowered front and rear about an inch and a half from when this picture was taken (with air shocks).

Hopefully your new springs will do the trick. Your car still looking great! Does your son still have the orange Nova?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yes, he still has the 77. The red truck in the pic is his, and he also has a '12 charger srt8.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
We don't live too far apart. I would be cool to meet up sometime. Do you guys ever get to any cruises down towards Lancaster County?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We don't live too far apart. I would be cool to meet up sometime. Do you guys ever get to any cruises down towards Lancaster County?
No, we just moved and been getting things set up here. He has his Nova in storage for now. Once I get mine the way I need it I'll be driving more. Maybe a trip to Lancaster area?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts