Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just under my car .I have Calvert adjustable rear shocks on my 67. It looks like there is only about an 1 1/2 inches of free travel available ? I haven't bottomed out I don't think but what is normal travel on these cars ? Is this a sign my leafs are pooched? Thanks

·
Registered
852 Posts
You may want to jack up the car with the rear end hanging free and measure what the total is. The shock should be in the middle of the travel.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have been running KYB Gas A Just’s on the rear the part number is 343135. The dimension are 20.28/12.01 extended/compressed 8.27 travel. These are gas charged shocks. I’ve had Rancho 9000’s on my old Toyota 4x4 and they were not charged but a fluid damper with adjustable damping control settings. Originally, they were 5 positions and later the went to 9 positions. Anyway, you could have some sag in your leaf springs, you might have too much junk in the trunk, or you might have lowered leaf springs. Either way I think you should have at least 3 inches of compression travel.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
According to the Monroe mounting & length specification document, their stock replacement shock is 11.63" compressed, 19.38" extended, with 7.75" travel. Part number 5818

I looked in the Vehicle information Kit from the GM Heritage website and found the following:
Wheel travel (Design)
Total.........9.38
Jounce.....4.00
Rebound...5.38

This is conflicting information but it is all I could find. The GM document didn't call out actual shock travel. If the Monroe specification is correct and the shock is sitting in the center of its travel it would bottom out and extend fully at 3.875" in both directions. The suspension is capable of moving further than that in both directions. Maybe Jounce is supposed to be limited by the snubbers?

My car bottoms out if I hit a dip going fast enough, or with enough weight in the car. I haven't determined if the springs are hitting the tailpipes or the shocks are bottoming out. I don't see wear on the pipes so I'm starting to think it may be the shocks. I need to get some molding clay and find out what's hitting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts