Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much rod should be showing on the rear shock for a drag only type car?I am running Cal-trac package with split leaf and adjustable shocks. I have about 1.5 - 2 inches or rod showing while setting still, just wondering what others are running.
Thanks, Craig

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Craig, it's not what others are running. Forget that. Better to look at what you are doing. As far as shock travel goes, that is easy as looking at it. Take the shock off your vehicle and measure it. See how far it travels in your hands then see how far it travels in your suspension, then you get an idea of how much shaft should be exposed. Sometimes your suspension won't allow the full travel of your shock. Control arm may bind up before your full shock extension occurs. Anyway, what you should be looking for is the spring rate that allows the shock to work freely without bottoming or topping out. Look at the shaft when you pull it apart in your hands, how long is it? Push it together and measurer it again. This is your shock travel. Decide how much you want to give up in either direction and you have your ride height. How much of that shaft is showing depends on where you want it to go. Vehicle weight, what you are trying to do, and if you remembered to send a birthday card to your converter builder.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
How much rod should be showing on the rear shock for a drag only type car?I am running Cal-trac package with split leaf and adjustable shocks. I have about 1.5 - 2 inches or rod showing while setting still, just wondering what others are running.
Thanks, Craig
It depends more on the travel length of your shocks. Either check the specifications of your shocks according to part number, or remove the shocks and measure the compressed length, as well as the extended length. It's often recommended that the shocks be installed at 50% of travel at static. This means if the shocks measure 13 inches compressed and 19 inches extended, it would be a good starting point to have the shocks at 16 inches while the vehicle is stationary.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Yep, I did say control arm. Vin63 always shows up to explain it better than I can, and that's cool.
At least you're now thinking about shock travel, right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts