Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be starting work on my '74 Custom and '78 Omega. Both will need shocks. I'm trying to head off problems before I have them and I remember years ago... no, decades ago, I had a problem replacing rear shocks because the upper mount bolts broke.
In case I break these top mount bolts again, how are these accessed/repaired? Any tips on loosening them other than the typical soak then impact gun for removal?
I appreciate all the help from everyone.

Thanks,

Later...
Brewster...

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
shock bolts..

yes, some PB blaster will help....but, I wouldn't use an impact gun :eek: soak the bolts overnite...then use a long 3/8" ratchet extension with 1/2" hex socket. Try and break them loose....when they start to turn..stop and re-tighten to clean the thread....spray again and repeat...loosen and tighten and slowly work the bolt out. If you snap one off the only cure is to drill it out....it ain't fun :( use this method and I think you will be OK...I ahve taken lots of 30-40 year old shock bolts out without a problem...just be patient :turn:

wilma

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
yes, some PB blaster will help....but, I wouldn't use an impact gun :eek: soak the bolts overnite...then use a long 3/8" ratchet extension with 1/2" hex socket. Try and break them loose....when they start to turn..stop and re-tighten to clean the thread....spray again and repeat...loosen and tighten and slowly work the bolt out. If you snap one off the only cure is to drill it out....it ain't fun :( use this method and I think you will be OK...I ahve taken lots of 30-40 year old shock bolts out without a problem...just be patient :turn:

wilma
Yes sir, this is the safest way to do it!:yes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't figure out how to Multi-Quote but thanks, TAZ3 and WILMASBOYL78. I remember that there was a spot to neatly cut in through the trunk though that can then be neatly MIGed up when the fix is done. If I remember correctly, there's a plate attached inside that the bolts go into or something like that.
Hopefully, I'll get them out the way you guys said.

Thanks again,

Later...
Brewster...

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Good luck and take your time and you're correct about the plate if you want to cut the trunk.

As for Multi Quoting, click the Mutli Quote button on all the posts you want and click just the quote button on the last post you're going to include in all the ones you want. Hope that helps.

NPHNP!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.