Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am having trouble mounting rear shock as the hardware / bolt does not fit thru shock plate on leaf spring. Do these bolts come in different sizes or does it have to do with whether it's a multi leaf or mono leaf set-up?

Any suggestions on install or information on hardware needed would be appreciated.

Thanks all,

AB

Attachments

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That does't look like the right bolt for that application. That looks like the bolt that goes to the factory four link shock mount. Your bolt should just be a straight bolt washer and nut.
Yeah, doesn't look right to me, either. You can just substitute in the correct size Grade 8 bolt with matching washers and nut.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,212 Posts
You will also need a different bolt.
the shock mount/leaf spring plate you have is for a single leaf and does not use the bolt you have. The "bolt" you have is actually a pin mount. Its used on the mutlileaf spring bottom plate.

If the kit Motomanwin works ( Not saying it will wont , IDK) then you would need a grade 5 bolt of the correct length, lock washer and nut.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The reason I referenced the KYB kit was I ran into the same issue when I installed my new shocks this spring. The kit has several different sleeves to choose from based on your bolt size. Hope this helps explain why we provided the kit information.

If you are not using KYB shocks, I would expect your manufacturer has a similar kit. Summit notes the kit in the application notes, but you ONLY realize you need it once you get the shocks if you don't read the application notes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,212 Posts
The reason I referenced the KYB kit was I ran into the same issue when I installed my new shocks this spring. The kit has several different sleeves to choose from based on your bolt size. Hope this helps explain why we provided the kit information.

If you are not using KYB shocks, I would expect your manufacturer has a similar kit. Summit notes the kit in the application notes, but you ONLY realize you need it once you get the shocks if you don't read the application notes.

Good luck!
When I replace my old single leaf bottom pates with new mutlileaf plates I found each shock mount had a different sized bolt, neither of which was of the correct diameter.
The ref kit sleeves, with the correct accommodating bolts should be great fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts