Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres one we have all run into fitting fatter tires under the rear of the car, my turn! wanna see who has bought rims with different backspacing/offset to fit bigger tires under the back of their nova i have a 71 2 door with a 10 bolt 8.2 under it. 65/235/r15's rub on the outter lip HARD! the car wont roll or ill cut the tire to shreds. looking for advice and what people have done to solve this issue (fender lip rolling out of the question) who has used offset wheels and what dimensions are you working with? thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
I run a 245 60 15 on a 7" rim with no issue maximum offset is about 3.5", 4" will rub and they will accept as much as 5" of backspace. You can run an 8" with 5" of bs but a 7" rim with 4" of bs will take a lot of tire too.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Won't an 8" rim with 5.5" backspacing fit a 275/60/R15 tire? Thought I read that a while back from a member on here who did that.

I have a 7" rim with 4.5" backspacing I believe and I run a 255/60/R15 on mine. Plenty of clearance on each side of the wheel. I tried a 275/60/R15 but it rubbed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if im not mistaken it goes tire height/ width/ rim size right? sorry im a newbie haha i like the tire height of the 235 but i really wanna put the widest tire i can under the car and does a rim with 5" of backspacing look "stupid" and is it super obvious that its not a stock rim?

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
Won't an 8" rim with 5.5" backspacing fit a 275/60/R15 tire? Thought I read that a while back from a member on here who did that.

I have a 7" rim with 4.5" backspacing I believe and I run a 255/60/R15 on mine. Plenty of clearance on each side of the wheel. I tried a 275/60/R15 but it rubbed.
Yes some cars will take more then others, depending on the rear end centering, folks have run 275 60 15.

if im not mistaken it goes tire height/ width/ rim size right? sorry im a newbie haha i like the tire height of the 235 but i really wanna put the widest tire i can under the car and does a rim with 5" of backspacing look "stupid" and is it super obvious that its not a stock rim?
Nope, not at all you can't really tell because most rims have 3" on the front side so 1 more of bs has little affect. I do prefer the look of a 8" rim that's 4 & 4 with the rear end narrowed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinking of putting the car up on jacks getting the bare rims on the car and getting them level so i can take a measurement from the outter edge of the rim to the fender lip and from the inner edge of the rim to the frame rail, once i accomplish that i should want the two measurements to be the same correct? so i know they would be as center as possible in the wheel well?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Nope

It's width / height / rim size So a 235 is wider than a 225 And a 235/45 is shorter than a 225/70... Bt the way The height is a factor of the width So a 235/45 and a 225/45 will have a different total diameter and sidewall height..

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,649 Posts

The first number is the width in millimeters- 235
The second number is the aspect ratio (height) - 60 means the height of the tire is 60% of the width
The third number is rim size

I run 275/60/15's on my '68. They fit fine. If a 235 rubs I think you have the wrong rims with too little backspacing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i had picked them up 3 years ago at the pleasanton california good guys car show for 300 bucks they are just 15x8's for the back and 15x7's for the front stock i believe but i gotta slap those rims on and see how far they are offset thanks guys the info really helps and when it comes to buying offset rallies can anyone recommend a good place somewhere in the san francisco bay area or an online dealer?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have 15 x 8's with M/T SLR street radials, 28x15x10.
I believe the rims are 5" BS. My fender lip is cut a little, and I have maybe 1/2" on either side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts