Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have my rear 6x9 speakers surface mounted on my package tray.I hate the way it looks:confused:I think it really takes away from the interior.I want to undermount them and I dont want speaker grills up top.Some have said speaker mesh to cover the package tray....the problem is my interior is a custom color and I can not find anything close enough......I do have a roll of the interior material that I can cover the package tray again.....Any ideas on how to let the sound thru?Is there such thing as a perforating machine?I could do just the 6x9 area of the material:confused:Any ideas??thanks bm

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
colour match paint and paint speaker grills
ask your upolstery guy about perferating material...im sure if its glued to backing board ther should be no problem,i would prefer bigger holes for sound quality,,,,,1/8 in mabe?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I did that to my door panels because I didn't want the speakers to show. I don't about a perforating machine? I used a piece of hard brake line sharpened the end of it so it would perforate thru the leather, traced out my pattern a started hammering away. I glued a piece of the metal speaker grill to the inside so the trim was ridged. The whole job was a major pain in the ars. But mission accomplished when I finished it 2 days later! You could even trace out a Batwings in the perforation? RICK

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try to get a better pic thru the back window but it's difficult with tinted glass

very nice.....thats what I want...do you know how they did it?thanks bm

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Bruce,

I agree on the way it looks i hate it as well.What we did in Johnny's car was flush mount them under the package tray with speaker boxes on the underside.

The top side has acoustically transparent material covering the package tray.

What you see is a clean tray without any indication that the car has a stereo.

I dont have any pictures up close but this one gives you an idea from far away.

·
6,517 Posts
They used to sell what they called a perf tool to make hole patterns in material. It was a big chunk of steel with threaded holes in it that little sharp ended tubes threaded into forming a particular sized pattern. The material was then stretched out like it would be in the installation and then layed on top of a piece of hardwood and then after positioning the tool on the material a big dead blow hammer was used to drive the tubes all at once AND in one shot through the material.

The perf tool was brought out maybe in the 80's and someone may still have this tool to use.

The problem I've had with the perf tool or a pattern with a bunch of small holes is you cannot get enough holes in the material directly above the speaker to where it does not become a restriction for airflow (sound). If my math is right if you had 80 holes, 1/8" in diamter you would have less than 1 square inch of opening. A 6x9, 4", 5" or even a 6.5" speaker has a lot more cone area than 1 square inch.

I normally use speaker cloth to cover speakers and you can get it in colors other than black. If you get a white a person might be able to dye it the right shade to match a light colored interior.

If a material is looked at to be possibly used to cover a speaker, hold it up to the light and if you can see through it the sound will pass through it. If you cannot see through it the sound will be blocked.

Jim

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,045 Posts
You could use a hole punch from HF, it would take a while ? I under mounted mine, cut the whole speaker hole out it the package tray and put a fine steel mesh between the speaker and the tray. My interior is all black and I have tinted windows so they don't stick out too bad. I think if you even painted yours they would blend in a lot better ?
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I really can't stand the visible speaker look either. Knowing how you do things I'm sure you'll go with a trick undermount setup.

But if you decide to go easy way out, a paint store can color match a sample and get it pretty darn close. My dad actually gave me the idea. He went into the depot with a piece of his interior trim, some kind of tan for his Silverado, and couldn't find a close enough spray can. Store worker there scanned in his arm rest base and color is spot on. My dad got a quart and painted practically the whole interior with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
rear 6 x 9 speaker

Imo batman the speaker laying flat as you know is not realy doing it,s job anyway. Why not raise the rear of the speaker with a wedge wraped in a like color and grain when pulled together It would be almost be seamless to package tray .speaker grill would have to be sewn in fabric to let the sound out . I think the holes are heat set in what was shown and 1 more time imo is not letting the speaker work and would fail in time with uv and sound trying to get out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts