Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just had my back glass removed and noticed the two pieces of trim on each corner of the package tray ( inside coner by back glass ) are busted..not sure if anyone can tell me where to get some..

also, the package tray itself is real britle, ive heard where you can get these but should i really get another if its going to be this flimsy again..i was thinking of installing some mdf board so i can put some speakers on there..then having it upholstered..what do you think??

on that note i cant seam to figure out where the factory speakers were mounted, where they under the dash, or did it some how come straight out of the radio..

please: opinions, recomendations, options, suggestions, all welcomed..

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Depending what year J & W nova has the corner pieces I believe.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
What year (although in may not make a dif)? 3RD Gen I assume from the section.

If so, the underside of the package tray (inside the trunk) you can look up and see the cut-out in the metal for speakers. The center cut out is for the optional rear defroster.The front speaker consisted of the single center speaker on the dash top. I believe that the rather rare option STERIO front speakers were mounted in the two kick panels.

Package Trays, page 66. Standard (solid) and "Mesh" (for speakers to play through).:)
and insulation.
http://www.classicindustries.com/downloadcatalog02.htm

Rear corner moldings, page 16-3...
http://1962-79chevynovaparts.com/catalogPDFs/X2 16 interior.pdf

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
For what it's worth, I just talked to a guy who bought those reproduction plastic corner pieces and he said they don't look at all like the originals.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its for my 70..thanks, ill look into those links..thanks

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i see those package tray from classic industries, but what would i do about the rear speakers, can i here them through the tray??

EDIT: never mind, i see the fine print

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
the package tray when viewed from the top is covered in all material, but should come with the holes cut out on the bottom side, tho check with rep on phone..... so you have to cut the material the way you want it from along the holes on bottom side, and if wanted folding some excess carpet to the underside of metal, then attach speakers, don't cut out to close to the carboard or the carboard will be visible thru the rear windshield, just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well as a part guy they have always called them package trays..even on newer cars...

thanks for the input guys, there is a local guy here that sells muscle car parts ill get him to order me one..thanks for the heads up BILLY-PILGRIM
i noticed it did say truck frt..but what isnt truck freight nowadays..lol

thanks again, it makes perfect sense

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
( hope everybody dont mind me interfering on this thread) but......'Lifetime', J&W nova I believe lists a 73' tray.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got mine from a local place had it in stock $21.00..seams to me ive been getting screwed by ordering stuff through mail order..its funny the owner actually buys from places like classic industries, but he doesnt charge the truck frt charge

i have since bought all my door panels through him and have saved at least $100 in shipping

lesson learned

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
seams to me ive been getting screwed by ordering stuff through mail order
It's all about quantity. You can pack about twenty $10.00 package trays (or like items) in one box and pay the same amount of shipping as you would if you got a single item. ;) It's the dang "Oversize" package dimensions that kills ya'.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats what im getting at..ill this time i have been buying little things that they charge me truck frt for

i just got 2 dodge ram fenders sent by chyrsler from my ohio branch and guess what...they came on our normal ups truck..lol but yet i get hit for a truck frt item thats alot smaller..

i find it humorous thats all

·
Registered
78 Posts
70 Nova package tray. Where do the two "ears" on the ends of the tray go? Do they tuck up behind the sail panels?:confused:

Thanks
That's where they go, but mine didn't want to slip in easily. Finally got them thou. I suppose you could pull the sail panels first, but that is another step that can be just as challenging to do without damaging something.

My package tray did not have the insulation pad included, so I pulled off the original pad and glued it to the new tray. Don't know if it really matters, but thought I would use it since I had it.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Somewhere on the floor of my garage are the end pieces you need, but it will take some time to find them(if they didn't get smashed already) I'll take a look in the next few days. Send me an email at the end of the week, and I'll let you know if I found them. Mike Morgan [email protected]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts