Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, owning a 4dr six, I have to consider the v-8 swap. I've narrowed it down to the plain jane 350. Roughly a 300 hp. Probably swapping the PG with a turbo 350 trans. Now here are the questions.

Are the PG and turbo 350 the same size? Will the drive shaft have to be modified in any way?

Rear gears. I need some opinions. I'm pretty sure it needs a new rear. It will just be a cruising car, so nothing extravagant, but I will occasionally give it a stomp. Should I just stick with the same gear ratio? Whole new housing? Maybe just take the rear end to the shop, let them rebuild it, put a posi in, and seal it up?

If you know of any prices off the top of your head, that'd be great.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

On the rear end, I'd keep the same housing....Just get a posi unit and I would go with a 3.42 or 3.55 ring and pinion gears. It'll still have some kick to it off the line, but won't kill you with gas mileage. As far as posi units go, I have the Auburn Gear Pro which I like a lot and is available at most of the mail order places for around $400. New ring and pinions around around $200 out of most of the same places as well. If you're mechanically inclined, you can do this yourself with basic hand tools and a grease pin (to align the ring and pinion). If you are doing it yourself, make sure you get an install kit with all the bearings, bolts and such which are available from most of the mail order places as well. I've set up several rear ends and they never howl and it's saved me a bunch of labor cost!

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Brucelee41042,
If you are going to do a tranny swap, you should consider a 200R4 or a 700R4. The overdrive makes cruising real nice, especially if you are going with different gears.

I have 3.55's in my car, and at 60 mph with a T350 I was at 3000 rpm. Now, with the 700R4 in it she only revs at about 2000 rpm at 60 mph. I grabbed a driveshaft from a Vega for my 700R4 conversion (thanks to Mike Goble for the advice). He also mentioned one more that would fit as well.

As Jason suggests, you can save a few bucks by installing gears yourself if you are up to the challenge. Guys around here charge $250 or $300 labour for a gear swap.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Even if you can't fit the original driveshaft, getting one made isn't that much dough. I am pretty sure you can go from a PG to a TH350 though, I did it about 20 yrs ago on a '72, don't remember having to change the driveshaft.

I might go mild on the gears for that engine. 3.23s are a nice choice. I have an Eaton posi in my Buick, works great, the one in the Nova is a factory type and works as well. Installing gears isn't bad if you are patient. The bad part is crushing the crush sleeve at the end of the procedure. It takes over 300 lb/ft of torque and is difficult to do with the rear in the car. With the rear end out it is better but takes a big bar to get that nut to turn. I recently swapped 4.10s into the Nova, doesn't howl a bit:)

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I just did the powerglide to TH350 swap...exact same dimensions...no need for new drive shaft. However....had I known what I now know I would have seriously considered the extra cach for an overdirve as 63AKDN suggests, you can then play with deep rear gears. I just installed my new TH350 and now I'm itchin' for an overdrive. With gas prices you really won't want to cruise the hwy with a TH350 and deep rear gears...you'll have tears going down your face as you listen to the engine rev and the watch the gas gauge move before your eyes.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I hear you NovaNate. I had the T350 rebuilt and shortly after installation didn't want to hear the engine whining any more, so now that tranny with only a couple hundred miles on it sits in the corner of my garage floor.

If I would have done the math first to see what kind of rpm's I'd be running at after swapping to 3.55's I wouldn't have wasted my money on rebuilding the T350.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts