Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the install of a TKO600 in my '72 and took the car out for a shakedown yesterday. This morning I noticed a small puddle of oil right under the back of the pan. I'm guessing the rear main is leaking again.

My question is, with a steel Quicktime bellhousing that has the full block plate behind the flywheel, is it still likely that the oil will contaminate the clutch or can I wait a couple months before pulling it all out again.

I think I already know the answer :(

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
What kind of oil? If I run synthetic oil in my 1973 block...it almost runs out the back. Puddles oil. I changed back to Valvoline and puddles are gone.

Dave

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, Royal Purple.

It leaked years ago and I replaced the rear main and every other gasket while I had it out.

I don't really want to attempt to change the seal with the engine in the car, but my buddy offered to let me use his lift to give it a shot. The TKO is tight in the trans tunnel so I doubt I'd be able to lift the engine much to get enough clearance to pull the pan.

I moved the car today to see if it keeps dripping or not after I cleaned the pan up as much as possible. Hoping to see some drip trails...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts