Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Springs are not the problem, see my post below sorry)

I put new rear multi leafs in my 66 4 door about 4 years ago. New front springs and all new bushings etc. Car height is great and level, stock or just a little higher.

I have been noticing a thump on bumps. As I look at the rear shackle, it is about a 50 degree angle going backwards. Looks like it is near travel limit.

Question for the leaf spring experts, will re-arching the springs put the shackle back near the stock, vertical position without raising the car or is it better to get new springs?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
What makes you thing the springs are bottoming out? The axle should hit the bump stops on the frame rail first.

Note: I'm assuming 2nd gens have bump stops like 3rd gens.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, premature posting... Now that I am not bleary eyed and exhausted as I was the other night, I took another hard look. I put the car on the ground made sure it wasn't loaded from being on a jack etc. Springs and shackles are great. (I am a big guy so working under the car with it on the ground ain't fun) Shackles are near vertical as the assembly manual shows.

I did find the problem. The rear end has marked one of the dual exhaust tubes. It is slightly too long horizontally before it was bent to go up and over the rear end. Looks OK level, but when you push the suspension down about 2/3 way it is hitting. Have to have a talk with the exhaust shop if I go back there....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts