Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the stock 8.5 10 bolt and i need to get it shortend a little (how much not sure still have to get other things done before i can get measurments)how much does this generally cost and what about the axles im on a tight budget what should i do. After reading this i sound like i know nothing about cars and not even sure what im trying to ask:eek::eek::eek::(

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Leave it alone and get a wheel/tire combo that fits, I once had 295's under my stock suspention for 12 years and was accused of a minitub.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Are you using the stock C-clip axles? if so then yes you need to get new axles if you shorten the housing. Now you can convert to a Ford housing end where the axles are retained by a plate instead of C-clips. Either way you're gonna spend money on axles and labor to have the housing cut and the ends rewelded. Only other option would be to find a 10 bolt out of a 66-67 year. They are shorter and may give you the clearance you need.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Dont 66-67 novas come with 8.2 rears. Seems like a downgrade to me unless you find a 12 bolt but good luck with that. Those tires will chew up a 8.2 real quick. Maybe even an 8.5. Its either narrow the 8.5 or go with a Ford 9 inch or even Dana.

If you already have the 8.5 then your that much ahead. Im not sure how far you live from Moser but they narrow rears real cheap. $125 according to their site.

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/Shop-Services/shopservices.html

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got ahold of frank over at GPSUPERSTORE.COM and he priced me at 2200 shiped to me with all moser copenets it is a 12 bolt 30 spline axles but not sure on what gears that includes. which i think is a really good price:yes:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Its your budget and your choice. I think the 10 bolt will work fine unless you plan on doing some serious drag racing then hell yeah get the 12 bolt. You said budget but I didnt know you meant $2200 for a new rear end. Remember your 10 bolt has the same pinion size as the 12 bolt and with the ford large bearing ends and 30 spline axles as well and still be way under the 12-bolt price.

If you want something stronger then get a ford 9" with a g-link setup or something similar.

·
Registered
62 Posts
67 nova rear end

do you guys know what is the maximum tire size that can fit the rear of a 67 nova? without any modifications to the chassis? its kinda tight there.... my car is currently going thru a good deal of body work.

i have a stock 10-bolt on my rear end, and don't really plan to narrow it down. can anyone tell the the tire size that will snug right in?

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well how much would it cost to build my 10 bolt i think the 12 bolt at 2200 is a good deal. im thinking down the road because i want to eventually put a tremeck 5 speed in it and i might be launching harder than my simple automatic and im looking to get a more powerful engine down the road also

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I went with a 9" Ford. Bought a housing for $50, bought Moser axles, had it narrowed and used Dad's nodular third member and rebuilt the posi unit in it. If I remember correctly it was around $150 to have it narrowed and new perches welded on.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Supposedly a built 8.5" 10 bolt is almost or is as strong as a built 12 bolt. I put Strange axles, spool, cclip eliminator, Motive gear, new bearings and LPS cover on my 8.5" for $950 I think it was. For another $300 you should be able to get it shortened and Ford ends instead of cclip eliminators. It would be nice though to get a prebuilt rearend.

·
Registered
295 Posts
do you guys know what is the maximum tire size that can fit the rear of a 67 nova? without any modifications to the chassis? its kinda tight there.... my car is currently going thru a good deal of body work.

i have a stock 10-bolt on my rear end, and don't really plan to narrow it down. can anyone tell the the tire size that will snug right in?
I got 17x7 on mine with a four inch back space. 225.45 17 tires. Its a1/4 inch from the outer wheel opening, but on the inside i got about 3 inches of space. If I was doing it over I would go with 18 x9 with a proper backspace. This would work on my 67 anyway. would probly need a 6 inch backspace to acount for the rim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts