Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a 1979 Camaro rear end (8.5, 342, posi). Will the entire rear end fit in my 1975 Nova? I have heard the spring perches are different.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
12,032 Posts
The spring perches are different, they are also farther apart and the rear end is wider. The internals will fit in your 75 rear and that would be a better way to go.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The actual perch is different from the Nova perch. And how do you deal with the extra width? With a stock rear end getting fat tires under one is difficult.
How is the perch different? The leaf springs are the same. The camaro rear is only .5" wider per side which can be offset by the wheel backspacing.

It depends on which 2 rear ends you want to swap the parts with.
I have a 79 z-28 8.5 with brand new brakes that I want to swap over to my 78 Nova 8.5 rear.

·
Super Moderator
12,032 Posts
How is the perch different? The leaf springs are the same. The camaro rear is only .5" wider per side which can be offset by the wheel backspacing.

I have a 79 z-28 8.5 with brand new brakes that I want to swap over to my 78 Nova 8.5 rear.
I neglected to take a photo of the perch differences, as I remember the Camaro perch is wider on the inside then the outside and the Nova is the same on inner and outer. I am thinking the bottom plate may have different bolt spacing. I have one under a 79 parts car to keep it a roller after I sold the rear that was in it. I'll go look at it tomorrow.

8.5" rears all use the same backing plates and drum spacing. The 8.2" backing plates and drums have a different spacing from the axle flange to backing plate mount area then the 8.5".

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
The actual perch is different from the Nova perch. And how do you deal with the extra width? With a stock rear end getting fat tires under one is difficult.

I havent done it yet to mine, but what they suggested is get a set of perches from Summit and hell weld them in place. As for the extra width, I think a few guys here have relocated the rear shocks to accomodate wider tires. Again, I have not done any of this so im just going off of others suggestions

·
Registered
411 Posts
I neglected to take a photo of the perch differences, as I remember the Camaro perch is wider on the inside then the outside and the Nova is the same on inner and outer. I am thinking the bottom plate may have different bolt spacing. I have one under a 79 parts car to keep it a roller after I sold the rear that was in it. I'll go look at it tomorrow.

8.5" rears all use the same backing plates and drum spacing. The 8.2" backing plates and drums have a different spacing from the axle flange to backing plate mount area then the 8.5".
Cool, thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts