Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I bought someones unfinished project. It has a 468 with a 700R4 trans and from what I can tell a 7.5" 10 bolt with 3.42 posi. I am concerned that the rear end will be short lived behind the torque of the big block. Any one know of a stronger rear end that can be swapped in without any major modifications? Thanks in advance for your time!
ED.

·
Registered
928 Posts
You can probably find a dime a’ dozen 8.5 10 bolts unless you want to go big and spend on a 12 bolt. I’m running an 8.2 under my 63 and had the same question as you. I was told on this site that 8.2 should hold up even to some abuse

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
I agree with SMO'KUM63. The GM 8.5 rear out of a 72 thru 79 Nova should be a direct bolt in for your 70 Nova.
Below is a link to Nova Rear Axle Specs and how to identify the 8.5 rear axle from the 8.2 or the 7.5 rear axle.
https://www.novaresource.org/axle.htm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rifraf! That is exactly the info I was looking for. :)

Someone told me that a ford posi rear out of a late 90's early 2000's explorer would fit. You would just need to weld on the spring perches. Anyone have thoughts on that?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’ve got a 12 bolt from a 65 Chevelle in my 72. It’s within ¼” difference in width. The coil spring perches have been removed and leaf spring perches added. Still has the loops on the pumpkin.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The 8.5 rear end is pretty much as strong as a 12 bolt, and is as strong as the Ford 8.8. Both the 8.5 and 8.2 have one weak spot, and that's the stock axles. If racing it, the 8.2's other weak spot is the smaller pinion gear. If you find an 8.5, just add a set of Moser C-clip axles. I'm sure you will want to add a Posi and the gears of your choice. If so, find a posi unit for the 8.5 with 30 spline axles and order a set of Moser C-clip axles for a 69 Camaro 12 bolt. Now you have a strong rear end that if assembled correctly, you are not going to break on the street (unless you do something stupid like a neutral drop, lol).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts