Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 78 back from getting new interior, next step is the rear end. The drive train is a 496bbc with a 400 turbo tranny, about 500 HP; still has the the stock rear end. Any suggestions on what I should throw in such as 10 or 12 bolt, gears, suspension, size of wheels and tires (without tubbing), limited slip or posi? This is what I like to call my Sunday cruising car (of course I drive it more than that though). I wanna be able to cruise, but also have the ability to sh*t n get when I need to. Especially, when a rice burner pulls up revving up his coffee can exhaust.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
BUT AN ALTERNATIVE WOULD BE A 12 BOLT! :yes:
WHAT KINDA DRIVIN' WILL YOU BE DOIN'? :confused: STREET, STRIP, BOTH, ???

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is a ten bolt, just didnt know if I should keep that or go with 12. I'll be doing street driving. Just cruisin n lookin cool. I don't thinks car meets the safety regulations for the local strip (from what I heard), but it doesn't really interest me anyway. Any suggestions on gears and suspension. Want it to be able to hook up as best I can. Right now I just hammer the pedal and it don't stop spinning until I let off

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
If you are happy with the way the car takes off and can live with the present gears on the freeway, why change anything?

Just pick out a set of wheels that compliment the looks of your car - go have fun driving it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not happy with the way it takes off, it doesn't hook up at all. Thats why I am looking for suggestions

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
You stated "Right now I just hammer the pedal and it don't stop spinning until I let off"

I would love to have that problem.

What rear gears and tire sizes are on the car right now?

A posi unit would get both tires into the action; doesn't matter if its a 10 or 12 bolt.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think that generaton nova rearend interchanges with 70-81 Camaro and Firebird? If you can confirm that you'll find it's a lot easier to find a good Camaro posi rearend with decent gears than trying to find a Nova setup for that generation. 3.42 3.55 3.73 would work good along with some slapper bars. Some of the Trans-Ams had really high gearing 2.41? so make sure you know what you're getting.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I think that generaton nova rearend interchanges with 70-81 Camaro and Firebird? If you can confirm that you'll find it's a lot easier to find a good Camaro posi rearend with decent gears than trying to find a Nova setup for that generation. 3.42 3.55 3.73 would work good along with some slapper bars. Some of the Trans-Ams had really high gearing 2.41? so make sure you know what you're getting.
You can use the internal as they are the same, but housings are different length(2"longer) and spring perches in different locations.

http://www.novaresource.org/axle.htm

http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html[/url]

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes, it is a ten bolt, just didnt know if I should keep that or go with 12. I'll be doing street driving. Just cruisin n lookin cool. I don't thinks car meets the safety regulations for the local strip (from what I heard), but it doesn't really interest me anyway. Any suggestions on gears and suspension. Want it to be able to hook up as best I can. Right now I just hammer the pedal and it don't stop spinning until I let off
You could always feather the gas until you get traction or roll out hard and slowly go full throttle. there are plenty of ways to get it figured out.

posi and caltracs would fix it though.

Which 10 bolt? If it is the small one it will not hold up. The 8.5" can be built to take a lot abuse.
What a minute, arent i getting one of those Small ones from you for my car :bored:......

But im building a 9" so i can get back to the track and use the nitrous again

·
Registered
767 Posts
size of wheels and tires (without tubbing)QUOTE]
You can fit a 28x11.5x15 Mickey Thompson ET Street under the back if your interested in going that route of tire. 8" x 4.5" back spacing on the rim.
[/IMG]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts