Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing allot of research reading forums articles and such in regards to 10 bolt rears (open) turned into posi's. But none have really been able to answer my questions hopefully you guys can help (sure you can).

I've been thinking about getting a posi from Eaton to put in my rears (3.73). Thought I had an 8.5" apparently I've got an 8.2" :( My current motor is a 2 bolt main (i know, i know) 350ci that I had bored out to 383ci. with a 670cfm Holley carb. running to a TH400 (it came with the car when I bought it). Originally the car was a 6 then the previous owner converted it to a V8 and dropped in the TH400 (I believe it came from a truck, not 100% sure tho).

My question is, is it worth my time and money to put a posi in this rear or should I just save 2k over the next 5 years and buy a cut to fit 9in? I would like to take it to the track here and there, I wont be running slicks. It would just be nice to use what little power I'm producing to it's full potential and not look....silly, when only one tire lights up. Any one that has advice or been in this position with a positive outcome please do tell how you managed to make a situation such as this a success. Thanks in advance guys and gals for your time and reading this post and responding.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
How often are you going to the track? How much power is your engine putting out? The answers to these will greatly help in whether you should build up this one or save for another rear.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
No expert here either but if not racing much and running slicks/drag radials, I'd think it should live just fine with a good set of axles and an eaton unit.

Not the same but my 8.5 was upgraded with Superior axles and a True Trac posi. Dead hooks at the track and has had "0" issues with over 250 passes now.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I built the 8.2 in my old 71 with a 406 (500 hp estimate) running 11.60s. I used an Eaton posi, Richmond street gear 3.73, and stock axles. Never had an issue and the car actually pulled the wheels an inch or two. Drove the snot out of it and took it to the track many times.

I wouldn't have put it behind a transbrake or a standard transmission dumping the clutch at a high rpm. For a footbrake car I would have no problem doing it again if that is all I had.

I am glad that I bought a 72 this time just because they came with the 8.5. I already have 30 spline Moser axles, Rear support cover, 4.10 Richmong street gear, and just need the Eaton posi now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input guys much appreciated. Assuming I don't get bit by the bug I figure I might take my car out to the track only a handful of times just to see what it can do. My biggest fear was hooking up and possibly shattering my gears. As far as power output I would guess some were in the low 300's 310hp or 320hp. I'm going to put on a tunnel ram this winter. One of the kits summit sells, this one here in fact

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-03-0177/

Not sure how much more hp and torque it will provide but an increase to a modest amount I'm sure. So it sounds like if I keep my current gears and get a posi with some new axels (possibly a set of C-Clip eliminators) I should be okay at the track on street radials?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts