Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
fter a heart attack....the Kids Program is back up for the Summer and now we have a rear-end question :no: humor needed.

The car has a 12 bolt 4:10 but we do not intend on racing the car....since we take the program kids to shows, and drive not trailer....which rearend gear swap would you suggest and how easy is it.

Thanks
Cars for Kids

Forgot some stats: 396 BO to 410 Auto with Turbo 400

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
355 would be a good choice, they were the factory choice for these cars. It will still have some get up and go and be good to drive as well.:yes:

Miles is our rear axle intern!

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
3.08 or 3.36....

both offer moderate performance with a modicum of millage and lowered rpm...

I would chose the 3.36 for strictly a driver.... however, if a od4sp auto were introduced.. then a 4.11 is where I would stay...

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
3.08 or 3.36....

both offer moderate performance with a modicum of millage and lowered rpm...

I would chose the 3.36 for strictly a driver.... however, if a od4sp auto were introduced.. then a 4.11 is where I would stay...
My son has 3.08's in his 68 and I have 3:36 with OD in my 49 Chevy. Both do very well on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
With the BBC a 3.31 is a great gear!

I have a used one if you want it! N/C

if i could get the rear end I would set it up for ya

PM Me

Al

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Does the 396 have a big cam? If so, you may have drive-ability issues if the rear gear is higher (numerically smaller). You should be able to find a member who can help out for a good cause such as yours.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's all of the responses....

Cars For Kids....its a program that I started 5 years ago to find kids who want to stay out of trouble over the Summer by working on cars and learning a bit of a trade here and there from some pros in this area. Last we won a Proclamation from the City of Pittsburgh for our efforts.

As for the cam....not sure which Lunati was installed by the former owner but he was retired from GM and rebuilding to be a strip car before he decided to move from Michigan to Florida....my guess that it is a medium cam but can't be sure since it was only driven around the block a few times before the complete disassembly....and the fact that it has a rusted out Mr. Muffler exhaust that bogged it down along with a crap carb (no so more thanks to Big Al)

Like I mentioned....there is a 410 but have every intent on driving to events with no major intent on racing....besides compensating for 44 yo body parts at a red light!:puke:

Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
well, If it was built to be a strip only car I would assume the cam is not suited for what you want to do. If the engine is disassembled you should be able to get the grind/part number off the end to verify. You'll want to pick a cam to go with a cruising axle ratio. Once you have more details on the engine configuration we can help you choose a setup.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Good for you Big Al! That's a great thing you offer! I want to meet you someday, I just live in Mt. Holly, I will be in Mooresville this weekend if you show up, look for a red 66 Nova, running 7.60's
We need something for kids like that around here.
Mark

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I meant to say was that the engine has been removed from the car but not "truly" disassembled. In his description on a receipt I have found the following:

218/228 @ .50 Lift Lunati Cam...and with even more research in the box of paperwork I have found the actual model number:

http://summitracing.com/parts/LUN-00021LK/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts