Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas.. I have a 63 SS that has 5x5 lug pattern all the way around. I am pretty sure that isnt stock? (correct me if I am wrong please)

I want to add traction to the diff - trac loc, posi, etc...

I dont want a locker or a spool.. I want road manners, but also some better traction - tired of peg legging stripes on the street!

What do you guys recommend? .. and .. will I be able to add that to my older style 10 bolt? I am guessing I am going to have to pull a rear axle shaft to see what spline count it is??

Just looking for some guidance.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
You’ll need to identify what rear axle you have first. Some axles have lots of aftermarket support and some do not.. A 5 on 5” bolt circle is not what I would expect to find on a Nova. Full size passenger cars, C10 trucks, and mid- size Astro Vans had the 5 on 5 bolt circle..

·
Registered
869 Posts
The Detroit Locker units have been around forever. There are also several companies who make posi units. I chose the Eaten True trac when I did my car. It uses helical gears instead of clutches to put power to the off wheel. I was worried about it catching or being able to feel it in curves or in tight areas but honestly, I can't tell it even has anything in it. So far I've been very pleased. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You’ll need to identify what rear axle you have first. Some axles have lots of aftermarket support and some do not.. A 5 on 5” bolt circle is not what I would expect to find on a Nova. Full size passenger cars, C10 trucks, and mid- size Astro Vans had the 5 on 5 bolt circle..
I typed faster than my brain was working.. 5x4.5

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Detroit Locker units have been around forever. There are also several companies who make posi units. I chose the Eaten True trac when I did my car. It uses helical gears instead of clutches to put power to the off wheel. I was worried about it catching or being able to feel it in curves or in tight areas but honestly, I can't tell it even has anything in it. So far I've been very pleased. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I have detroits in other cars.. I dont like the road manners... reliable as hell, but not the drive I want for this car. Thanks for the recommendation on the eton true trac! I will check that out.

What can I do to identify the rear end in the car now?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I have detroits in other cars.. I dont like the road manners... reliable as hell, but not the drive I want for this car. Thanks for the recommendation on the eton true trac! I will check that out.

Take pictures of it and post them so we can identify it..

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

As Nova Thug suggested, post detailed pictures of your rear end housing so we can help you identify what you have.

Here is some info about the Truetrac:
https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/differentials/eaton-detroit-truetrac-differential.html

I had a Truetrac in my car a few years ago. It worked great until a problem with the rear end housing ruined it. I discovered that none of that was the fault of the Truetrac. I'm building a new rear end and have a new Truetrac to go into that one.

Gerry

·
Registered
869 Posts
I bought the True Trac after talking to Evan Dally about his car. I used TCI suspension on my car and was on the phone with him several times thru out my build. He cost me more money but in the end I was very satisfied with the "extras" he recommended. Look up his "Little Sweetie" nova. It's one of the TCI "test cars". If it will hold up to their road racing I'm sure my street car won't be a problem for it. I have a nine inch ford with 31 spline axles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts